Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
November 27th 2009
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

RiverRiverRiver

Some really cool river at a rest stop on our way down to the glaciers.
This morning we got up and decided to drove down to see the glaciers. It was overcast and really cold. We stopped off at Franz Josef glacier and hiked up to a viewing point to see it. It was really cool to go look at. I had never seen a glacier before and it was nice to be able to have a visual to put with the word. It's amazing how the glaciers can retreat and reform, and how it looks like frozen movement. Like water or snow just frozen in time, even though they slowly are moving. It started to rain while we were hiking around, so we decided to go back in the car and drive down to Fox Glacier instead of embarking on a longer hike to the glacier. We got a place to stay in Fox Glacier, and the surroundings were beautiful. We went into the TV lounge to charge things and it started raining again. We played cards and kept warm and it continued to rain, and the rain got harder and harder. We rain back to our van to eat dinner, and back out to do dishes and get warm inside a room. Finally before bed we had to run out again in the pouring rain and when we got into our van we saw we hadn't closed the sliding door firmly enough from before so it had leaked and made a wet spot on our bed (by our feet). There was another spot near the back door as well, by our heads, (from the age of the van, not our incompetence this time!) We put towels over the wet spots, and huddled close together under the blanket for warmth.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.3008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb