Nelson to Haast, via Pukekara and Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
September 12th 2006
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nelson to Haast

via Pukekara and Fox Glacier

Puke pubPuke pubPuke pub

One of three building in Puke...
Monday 11th September 2006
We explored Nelson and found the Bead Shop - dazzling selection of beads! Mum found a few pre-made pieces for presents. Nelson is supposed to be known for two things - 1> Being very arty and 2> Having the most sunshine of all of NZ. My sister has decided she wants to move there already and it’s not a bad choice! Supposed to be really good for paragliding and kiting, too. It was my second choice of cities to settle in, after Christchurch. But Nelson is significantly smaller so work prospects for me as an IT worker are considerably less.

We had lunch on a small beach before heading south out of Nelson. We stopped at the small hamlet of Pukekara. It is famous for it’s Possum Pies. We arrived after dark and the pub was shut. We saw some lights up the track behind the pub and found a single campervan. After speaking to the inhabitants we found out it is normally shut for the low season, but we could use a hook up and the toilets and pay the guy who arrives every morning to feed his animals opposite.

Tuesday 12th September 2006
Another night of snoring, but Mum got up at 7.30am, rather than 6.30am… I was still very tired!

After breakfast and paying ‘the man’ we were disappointed to find the Puke Pub and possum pie place were shut for low season - so no possum pie :-( We drove onwards south. We arrived at Franz Josef, looked at the glacier and I showed Mum where I stayed. From there we headed onto Fox and joined a group walking up to and onto the Glacier. See the panoramic here. This was good for Mum as she had never done a glacier walk and good for me as I had done Franz Josef but not Fox. I found the equipment (crampons) and guides not as good as Franz, but still a great experience. Although I was feeling the tiredness by the end of the day. For those that don’t know I have Gilbert Syndrome (read more here) and get affected by tiredness and fatigue (along with brain fog, poor memory, irritability & IBS) a lot more prominently than most.

We left Fox and headed on down the west coast to Haast where we stayed the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Puke menuPuke menu
Puke menu

Really wanted to try some of this!
Fox GlacierFox Glacier
Fox Glacier

and not a mint in sight!


Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb