Te Anau & Milford Sound


Advertisement
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Making a base in Te Anau (a small, sleepy town in a beautiful setting) was proving pretty good so far so for Stevie's last day we explored on bikes and had a good dinner out.

The next day I went up the Milford Road and walked up to the Gertrude Saddle in the Darren Mountains which is a climbers paradise when dry. Dramatic alpine scenery & superb views across to Milford Sound made this a great day.

On the 25th, our extreme two week "drought" broke with heavy rain and wind causing the cancellation of my kayak trip on Milford Sound. However, our guides Nick & Fi were ever resourceful and we took a cruise instead on the Mitre Peak boat all the way along the fiord and out to the Tasman Sea. Again, Milford Sound is worth the hype and we had a great day here and exploring the Milford Road.

In the evening, back at Te Anau the sun was out and I shared a good fresh-air dinner with a German vet phD student Riki who was touring NZ and was also on the (not-quite) kayaking trip.

Today is the 26th and it's been a day of booking the next few days as well as blog & e-mail catching up which is a nice change.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb