Kayaked out!


Advertisement
Published: December 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Can you see me?Can you see me?Can you see me?

There are so many lupins. This is on the way to Milford Sound from Te Anau.
We are currently exhausted as we have spent the whole day kayaking in Milford Sound. It was great fun and the sound (although technically it is a fiord) is beautiful. We were really lucky with the weather too and despite it being one of the wettest places in NZ (it gets 6m of rain a year) it did not rain once. We spent about 5 hours paddling about which was lovely. We followed the edge of the peaks for most of it and we were able to see seals. There are lots of boats in the sound and they created quite big wakes which were fun to kayak over.

Milford Sound is lovely although it is a major tourist attraction. We arrived late afternoon yesterday so we avoided the crowds and were able to go for a short walk and have all the lovely views all to ourselves.

The worst thing about this place is the sand flies. They are these horrible little midge like things that give you really itchy bites. There are millions of them! You cannot stand still for a minute. Hopefully when we leave the fiords there won't be so many. It is back to Te Anau tomorrow for an overnight stop before we head to Queenstown.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb