Fiordland NZ


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last week I spent a few days in Fiordland national park, and did an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound (it is a fiord, but all the fiords here had been named sounds originally). There are 14 fiords in the park, doubtful sounds is the second longest. They are all pretty remote areas, not easily accessible, even Milford sound which is the only one directly accessible by road you have to pass through a 1.5 k tunnel to get to it, and in winter the road is often closed due to avalanches. Getting to doubtful sound is a bit of an adventure in itself, takes an hour by boat accross lake Manipori, then there is a road connecting the far end of the last to the fiord - this road only exists because there is a hydro station on the end of the lake, and they needed it to bring the equipment in from the sea.
It is a really beautiful untouched place. Tonnes of waterfalls, only about 5 of them are permanent, the rest just come with the rains. We seemed to go through all the seasons in about 24 hours, from raining, to sun showers and rainbows, to hail and wind, back to sun, and then rain again, and snow on top of the mountains when we got up in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th March 2009

wow
What a beautiful place. Your pictures are incredible!
24th March 2009

WOW
What a beautiful place E. Looks like you are having a fantastic time! We're doing well her - just playing the waiting game. Can't wait to see you. M

Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb