A Day At Tunnel Beach


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 13th 2011
Published: January 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The weather here in New Zealand can start rainy and finish hot and sunny or flip and be freezing. Finally, the perfect day had arrived for an exploratory journey to Otago's Tunnel Beach, just outside Dunedin. Being a ginger, I haven't spent much time at the beaches growing up in Ontario, as I have never tanned but rather freckle and burn, I often joke of my combustibility. But I was prepared for anything today, with SPF 90, sunglasses, and fast drying clothes, in case of a swim. The journey here involved boarding the Dunedin bus downtown and the ride lasted about an hour, followed by a fifteen minute walk through farmers fields to reach the access point for this beach. The beach was nothing like the beaches I had previously experienced, as beaches in New Zealand are not commercialized like they are in Canada. There were no stores, houses or even washrooms near the beach, but the view was breath-taking - a must-see! After walking down the winding path towards the sandy beach, passing by fluffy sheep and wire fences, Amy and I came across the entrance, for which the beach is named, a tunnel entry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb