Lost in Wonderland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
September 29th 2014
Published: October 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

September 29 (continued) - In the afternoon, Larnach Castle and Gardens were the next stop on the ‘tour.’ Brian and Diane’s next-door neighbour owns the castle. (Of course, their neighbour owns a castle, doesn’t everyone have a neighbour that owns a castle!) Anyway, Margaret has spent most of her life bringing it back from a very dilapidated state when she and her husband purchased it in 1967.



We had a delicious lunch in the castle ‘ballroom’ and headed out to explore the gardens. Throughout the gardens were touches of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ – the Cheshire cat sits hiding in a tree, there are statues of the Duchess and Knave of Hearts, a bronze golden-haired Alice holding a flamingo, a door in a tree, and even the Queen’s big red chair! Diane has written a children’s book of Alice at Larnach Castle. The book was launched at the castle – how cool! I wish I had been one of the lucky children that was invited to attend!



In the evening, we met Brian and Diane’s next-door neighbours, Allan and Mina. Diane prepared a delicious dinner (amid all the running around) and Allan and Mina brought the dessert. One of the delights of travelling is the people you meet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

An 'Imp' An 'Imp'
An 'Imp'

Not in the original 'Alice' story, but I suspect he snuck into the gardens one day under his shell.


9th October 2014

Castle exploring
I love looking around old mansions and castles - how exciting to actually meet the owner of one!
9th October 2014

Life is full of surprises!
And, this trip has given us sooo many!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb