Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
September 30th 2014
Published: October 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

September 30 – Today we visited the Dunedin Botanical gardens and saw more rhododendrons than I knew existed! (and this was early spring – there are more to come!) There were numerous gardens with plants from various countries, some that I even recognized! We stopped at Signal Hill in Dunedin which offers wonderful views of the city. While the wind whipped around our heads, Brian painted a picture of the first ships coming into the harbour led by Scottish evangelists from the Free Church of Scotland standing on the ship's bow reading the bible -- they really must have thought they were creating a new Eden!



We then headed off for a brief view of Baldwin Street which is considered to be the steepest road in the world! Following lunch, we did a short tour of downtown Dunedin, stopping at the university, the railway station and the beach. The city has a number of ornate building that were built in the late1800's when the area experienced a gold rush. Today, Dunedin's main industry is post-secondary education, and it is filled with young people. I spotted several of them studying?



Our final stop in Dunedin was a visit to Brian’s grandchildren – mostly so young James could see David’s photos of his really big rockets. Five year old James and his three year old sister Natalia? (I hope I have her name right) were delightful. I love the energy of the very young – I wish I had more of it!



It was then onto Allan and Mina’s home for a drink and snack on the deck overlooking their garden and the ocean. (Brian and Diane’s kitchen has a view into this garden where their hedge has died back creating a “secret garden.") Mina has an art room just off the deck which sits at the back of the property, and Allan has a sunny room at the front of the house, so they both have their own ‘space’ in this wonderful retreat they call home. It is truly a special place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

New friends!New friends!
New friends!

David, Diane, Brian, Allan, Mina & 'Brin' the dog


18th October 2014
First Church of Otago - Dunedin

Dunedin
Love this town and loved seeing the penguins come to shore at sunset.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb