Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
November 15th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry I ran out of coins again. Anyway the Cruise on Milford Sound was undoubtfully a highlight of the holiday. We boarded at 4.30 pm and the Majestic Mountains that sloped steeply down to the sea were mysteriously covered with cloud. Occasionaly the peaks would appear above the cloud to reveal just how high they were. High waterfalls fell to the deep black water of the Fiord. Later I boarded a smaller boat to look at the wild life (fascinating). Just how high the Mountains rose and how deep the Fiord was became even more clear. I slept well on the boat that night. To wake early to see the same scene the next morning but this time there were no clouds. All too soon after sailing to the opening in to the Tasman Sea the cruise ended.
We retraced our journey through the mountains and then crossed the island completely to Dunedin on the East coast. That night to mark Dunedin's Scottish heritage we were welcomed with a traditional haggis ceremony which was great fun.
This afternoon's train journey (Diesel not steam) took us up a narrow gorge. There is no other way to travel up this isolated gorge and at times the drops were severe. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey and recommend it as a pleasant half day trip. My holiday is very quickly coming to an end but weather permitting I still have at least one exciting activity planned.
Thats all for now. I'll try to up date on Monday when I arrive in Christchurch.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb