Hampden, Big Boulders, Penguins and loadsa Seals!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
January 4th 2008
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke to another scorcher today - the tans are finally coming on nicely at last. We started sharpish and had to stop off when we passed through a village called Hampden, we followed the signs to the beach and were not dissapointed as it was stunning. Big G was gutted that we did not have a ball with us so he could claim to have played at Hampden.

We literally travelled another mile down the road when we saw the sign for the Moeraki Boulders which was also on our list of must see's, now you think that being boulders it woudl be pretty dull but they really are bizarre sitting in the sand, perfectly formed like they have landed from another planet.

We were here for about and hour admiring them and jumping from boulder to boulder as Graham tried to take action shots ( piccies to follow )

We finally arrived in Dunedin and checked into camp then realised we only had an hour to kill before heading out on the Elm Wildlife Tour. This has won numerous tourism awards and it really exceeded our expectations.

First off was a 1 hour boat trip to spot Albatross, which we saw one but we saw bucket loads of Shags ( Stewart island and Spotted - FYI - Dad )

Then we went on a tramp over some private land out onto a beach to watch more penguins and saw some baby yellow eyed that looked like wee wombles very very cute before heading around the peninsular to a viewing hide right above rocks to view the seals and sealions in their natural habitat. Again we were up close and personal to these guys and got some great piccies, kicking ourselves for not taking camcorder as we watched the bulls fight over their harem and it was some sight!!!

We then drove round some marshlands and watched various other birdies but at the risk of sounding like Bill Oddie I will call it a day there, I have a craving for a scooner of speights......... Its actually the 7th as I type and I have buckets loads to tell you all ( no more wildlife I promise )

We are in Queenstown tonight and away to get buckled to ensure that we get to sleep okay...skydive booked tomorrow will update straight after so you all know we have survived x x ( my fingers and toes are crossed )


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Graham at Hampden ( beach ) Graham at Hampden ( beach )
Graham at Hampden ( beach )

He shoots he scores, he celebrates
Graham the TwitcherGraham the Twitcher
Graham the Twitcher

looking for birds ( nothing changes )
Big BurdBig Burd
Big Burd

A Royal Albatross - wing span of 3 metres!
Another busy day in the Office!Another busy day in the Office!
Another busy day in the Office!

Look at the wee baby to the right hand side of pic ( only 4 ish weeks old!! )


7th January 2008

amazing.....
wow just read all your blogs in a oner (after getting the address from Hoord today) and it just sounds like the best holiday in the world.... keep doing a lot of Scott look at this pic, look at this! Will be logging on tomorrow for the update on the skydive - good luck you're both a lot braver than me!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb