Christchurch and sheep ranch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 20th 2017
Published: February 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We left Punakaiki early in the morning traveling back over the southern alps on our way from the west to the east coast to Christchurch before our flight to Wellington. The south island’s west coast is very sparsely populated and as a result, one of my lingering memories of New Zealand’s south island is not only the breathtaking beauty, but the almost nonexistence of any watercraft of any kind to be seen on the beautiful lakes and oceans.



On the way we stopped for lunch at the Rubicon Valley Sheep Statioin. in addition to a traditional farm lunch of lamb hamburger and beef sausages, we took a tour of the ranch, saw an exhibition of sheep dogs handling the sheep and were able to observe sheep shearing.



We arrived in Christchurch to take a short tour of the city. We were unable to stay in Christchurch due to the remaining damage from an earthquake in February of 2011. This earthquake demolished 70% of inner city buildings, with 185 people killed. Many of the buildings are still being reconstructed with some not yet started. As we drove around the city, it is amazing to see the devastation to this city which remains after so many years. This year has also been effected by major bush fires around the city which still threaten.



In the evening we flew to Wellington, the capital of New Zealand for three days in the last city I will visit on this intense, but beautiful trip down under.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb