Day 99: Making our way up to Christchurch‏


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 18th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color:񬠜 font-size: 15px;">The Fergburger sat heavy in my stomach all night and I was still full when I woke up! I'd woken up a couple of times in the night and had a good laugh when I saw the Irish boy in my room still fully dressed lying sideways on the bunk somehow fast asleep! I guess he had a good Paddy's day. The bus ride to Christchurch was a long one but as the weather was still being Mr Miserable it was better to be inside than out! We drove through the rolling hills of the Lindis Pass and had lunch at Lake Tekapo. We arrived into Christchurch later that afternoon; the city centre is still a disaster zone, but not having seen it before the earthquake means its very hard for us to comprehend the scale of destruction.

Bailey's bit: On February 22nd 2011 Christchurch was hit by a 6.3 magnitude earthquake, the loss of life and damage was considerable. Of the 1200 buildings located in the CBD 1000 have had to be demolished. Large sections of the city are still closed off and the walkthrough them is eerily quiet. In a response to the disaster a container mall has been constructed, the cargo containers used to bring in aid hav been transformed into banks, shops and restaurants, a great idea to keep spirits high!

Daily mileage: 4(am) one last run around the dark streets of Queenstown before bidding them a fair well!
4 (pm) I had a run around haguley park, apparently the 4th largest urban park in the world and luckily located right next door to our hostel!</pre>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb