Christchurch - Skiing!! and Golfing???


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
July 16th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mt. Hutt....skiing and GOLF??Mt. Hutt....skiing and GOLF??Mt. Hutt....skiing and GOLF??

What happens when you play golf in the 30 degree weather and you hit the ball into the water? It stays afloat on the ice!
We were sad to leave Australia, but entered the beautiful landscape of New Zealand. The customs guy was much nicer here! We set off in our rented 4WD vehicle up the mountain to stay at a beautiful golf resort (you wonder who booked this?). Terrace Downs was a beautiful resort near Methven, which a ski town at the base of Mt. Hutt. We golfed in four degree C drizzle, you don't need complicated formulas to figure out who enjoyed this. Megan's first tee shot did not splash in the water- due to the fact that the lake was frozen over.

The next day we went skiing at Mt. Hutt. We drove a 20 km winding-snake-of-a-road up to the ski resort, actually driving up through the clouds to a beautiful sunny warm day of skiing (1 degree C). The snow was great and the views spectacular. It wasn't as scary driving down....no guard rails and the sheer cliffs kept us alert despite being tired after skiing.

Our flight to Queenstown was cancelled so we had to take a bus today. Wonderful countryside and some friendly Aussies helped the seven hour ride go by pretty quick. Though the highlight was leaving
Golf SwingGolf SwingGolf Swing

Pretty nice swing considering my fingers were frozen.
a jacket and camera on the bus and then having to run after it as it left- good exercise for cramped legs. Stay tuned for our adventures in Queenstown....

We've stayed in some nice places and eaten in some nice restaurants- the exception perhaps being the Melbourne airport meal, aka the shouldnotta fritatta! All the same, leaving the camera on the bus may be a sign that we're looking forward to a homecooked meal. Enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The ROADThe ROAD
The ROAD

This was the road we drove up to get to the base. NO BARRICADES and ice. Sorry Mom!
SkiingSkiing
Skiing

Beautiful landscape to see! And great skiing too.


19th July 2009

Scary road...
Scary road, but great golf! :)
20th July 2009

Road??
Ok...I give up...WHAT ROAD!! It doesn't look like what we call roads back here! I am so glad that you guys are having a good time. Enjoy the little bit of vacation that you have left.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb