Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 21st 2009
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Christchurch 4th - 14th February 2009

Our first day in Christchurch was spent exploring some of the town. The museum was excellent (and free!) and the parks and river lovely. We were to stay with our friends Lyn, Steve and Emily, who we had last seen in Abel Tasman. They were renting a little house for a week or so, and had asked us to stay - a real bed again! The house was lovely and quite close to town. We all went to the Science Alive museum, which was great fun - very interactive. We went on a gyrosphere, a climbing wall and a vertical slide, as well as loads of other activities.

Punting along the River Avon was a real must and we loved it, slipping gracefully along the river past the weeping willow trees which brushed the water - all very English, don't you know! The guy punting was dressed up in a boater and stripy jacket - very atmospheric.

We spent a day at nearby beach, Sumner.The weather was really hot - 33 degrees - so it was good to cool down a bit. We swam, picnicked, then cursed ourselves for not bringing the bodyboard as the surf was quite good. We decided to improvise and use our lilo and the two ringos. It was a real laugh.

The local swimming pool was also great. We spent hours there, floating around the 'lazy river' which had whirlpools and bubbling pools, and swimming in the pool which had a wave machine. There was a sauna, steamroom and jaccuzi pool all in the same part, so we relaxed in those too. When there was a 'poo alert' we all had to get out of the swimming pool, but we went on the flumes instead - there were 5 different ones ranging from easy to scary (dark and fast). We spent ages running up the seps and sliding down, like a load of excited kids - brilliant!

Continuing the 'sporty' theme, we spent a morning playing tennis in Hagley Park. We were all pretty similar in ability so it was fun. I think Rob may have won the most games, but I won't let him know that!

The stay in Christchurch was overall fantastic - nice to have a base for a bit longer and also to have such lovely company. Evenings were spent playing lots of games and chatting. It will be a shame to move on, but we will all be travelling together for the next week or so anyway.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Punting on the River AvonPunting on the River Avon
Punting on the River Avon

Me, Rob and Emily
Punting on the River AvonPunting on the River Avon
Punting on the River Avon

Lyn, Steve and Emily
Punting on the River AvonPunting on the River Avon
Punting on the River Avon

View as we punted along the river
Sumner BeachSumner Beach
Sumner Beach

The girls! Me, Lyn and Emily


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb