The South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
January 14th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had a fabulous New Years Eve (from what I can remember) visiting 3 wineries in the Nelson region - Neudorf, Kahurangi and Moutere Hills ( for all you wine buffs) and enjoyed tasting 21 wines! Excellent. Then headed to Punakaiki to see the famous pancake rocks. Unfortunately we had almost 3 days of rain (stop laughing) and so had to cancel our heli hike on Franz Josef. We did however go on the half day Glacier hike which ran in the rain, hail and thunder storm! It was great fun trying not to slip off the ice steps and trying to remember to stamp our feet to make sure the crampons took hold. I think even Dad enjoyed it once he had warmed up and had a nice pint inside him.

Luckily the sun came back out in Queenstown and for Dad's birthday I decided to treat him to White water rafting along the Shotover river in grade 2/3/4 rapids and a jet boat ride. Not quite sure if he saw it as a treat and I don't think he slept for two days beforehand but it was awesome. We had a great time and Dad even got in the river once or twice to help save people. What a hero! It was great fun watching another raft do a dumptruck at the toilet rapid and watching all the crew go floating past. Somehow we managed to stay in our raft. The jet boating was also fun but not quite the same as the rafting.

We were also lucky enough to take a flight to Milford Sound and went on a cruise. Breathtaking scenery and well worth the bumpy flight back to Queenstown. The 35 minute flight was certainly better than a 5 hour coach ride there and back which was the alternative.

I am now in Christchurch which is my last stop. Dad left yesterday so I am back to hostels. Had great fun this morning at the International Antarctic Center. Went in a -25 degree wind storm and on a Hagglund ride. Off to the theatre now to see a production on Oliver. Next stop LA.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb