Franz Josef Hike and the Hakka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
May 20th 2008
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wowzer is all I can say after that hike! The day was absolutely intense, we hiked for at least 8 hours up and across the ice glacier with a 20 min stop for lunch, through little tunnels in the glacier, through crevices it was very very physically demanding but I am so so glad I did it!! They gave us loads of gear in the morning, like woolen gloves and hats, and rain coats, rain trousers, etc and then we went to get the boots and cramp-ons.

My feet are in proportion with me, so as we know they are little, and the smallest size they had were still a little bit too big. BOO! I took them anyway and they rubbed SO bad, but it was ok- no pain no gain thay say! It took at least 3 and a half hours to actually climb up the glacier- the guides carried pick axes and actually made the steps themselves which was so crazy!! The views were absolutely incredible too i got some fab pictures even one of me with the pick axe!! Will upload them as soon as i can find a way to do so! By the end of the day I was absolutely exhausted, some of the crevices were so tight that you couldnt walk through them, you aactually had to shuffle your feet like you were on a tightrope, but not taking them off the rope- its a good job i'm not afraid of tight spaces or there would've been a few problems!!hehe. It was an amazing experince mind you and i'm so so glad that I could actually do it and didnt get too tired or cold along the way!! (i did buy a nice light pink coat for extra warmth though so that was a big help!!)

In Rotoura we went to see the Maouri tribe and they did the HAKKA for us and we learnt loads and loads about their history- that was incredible- i have to stop myself sometimes from breaking out into that hakka in homage!!!

I'm in Christchurch at the mo, off to Kiakora tomo, then Wellington the next day- only 5 more days until Fiji, and then till San Fran!!! How time is flying!!!
As usual internet is running out will write again soon, but HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY TO MY GORGEOUS GORGEOUS NEPHEW CHARLES!! Big kisses froum auntie mye.

Love to all,
Marianne
xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb