Putting Like Pirates


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
April 24th 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tui Meets Bomun's VanTui Meets Bomun's VanTui Meets Bomun's Van

After a stormy night on top of a hill overlooking Christchurch, the vans hung out, as Kirby and I got to know Bomun.
Enjoying Christchurch ever so much, we stayed around for another week. In the large downtown park we flocked to, we ended up meeting Bomun, who just moved from Seattle to New Zealand in December. He had locked his keys in his van and we ended up talking and waiting with him until AA arrived.

We continued our conversation late into the evening, learned all about permaculture (giving back to the land more than you take as an oversimplified definition), and watched a documentary called A Crude Awakening with him that evening in his van. We aren't sure if Bomun had named his van, but Tui, Kirby, and I enjoyed a travellers friendship and went on our own ways the next day.

We spent a number of hours downtown, especially at the library, in the days that followed, and at night we slept high in the hills overlooking Christchurch and its suburbs. We shopped at outlets, tied in a fun round of Pirate Mini Golf, read books, and listened to music in town center. In a few cities we have seen the life-size chess boards, but this was the first we watched people play.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our favorite place...Our favorite place...
Our favorite place...

The library in downtown Christchurch
The Putting PirateThe Putting Pirate
The Putting Pirate

Aye Mates! Watch me put this ball down da hole! Argggggh.
Putting Like ProsPutting Like Pros
Putting Like Pros

At the Pirate Mini Golf course.
A Gaggle of GirlsA Gaggle of Girls
A Gaggle of Girls

School girls in uniform
Sumner BaySumner Bay
Sumner Bay

A superb suburb of Christchurch
Millenium StatueMillenium Statue
Millenium Statue

Christchurch City Center
A Great Chess MatchA Great Chess Match
A Great Chess Match

We watched for hours... well at least minutes.
Supa CentaSupa Centa
Supa Centa

Kiwis are all about "Supa" and "Sweet as". Even malls are named "supa centas" and desert places are "sweet as".


1st May 2008

What amazing sites you do see!! Our snow is now gone for the second time, and we've had 2 days of gentle rain. It's making the farmers later than usual, but they're happy with the moisture.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb