Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 17th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

WarningWarningWarning

Paedo Penguins
We got to Chrustchurch after a long drive from Lake Tekapo and watched some movies in the afternoon. The next morning we got up and went to The International Antarctic Centre for the morning. It was a really cool place, we went in a 'storm room' which experiences temperatures as low as -20 degrees which was a little chilly for James wearing shorts! Here we also saw Little Blue Penguins, the smallest breed of penguins in the world. We then went into the centre of town and took a tram ride around the centre. The trams are the same ones which were used all those years ago and now they travel around a 2.5km loop of the centre. It gave us a good feel for the city and we spotted some places we went a vistited afterwards. We stayed in Cathedral Square for the afternoon and met up with some people we knew who were in the City. That evening we went bowling with Emily and Jane which was good fun!

On our last day in Chrustchurch we went to Akaroa, a little town on Bank's Peninsula (near Christchurch). This was where the French first settled in NZ so everything had a 'Le' preceeding the name... this even extended to 'Le Mini Golf!' The town was lovely, it was about an hour's drive from Christchurch and it was a very picturesque little fishing village. We had lunch here and then headed back to pack up our bags.

We got up the next morning to get our flight back to Auckland. We got to the airport to check in and they said they didn't have our name's on the system! We had a bit of a freak out and then we were told that our flight was actually from Tokyo so it was an international flight... we went to the international terminal and they did have our name's on the system!

We're spending our last 3 days in Orewa until we fly on thursday at 10 past midnight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb