Willowbank Wildlife Reserve


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 17th 2008
Published: February 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Asian Short Clawed Otters 10 secs
2: Eels at feeding time 26 secs
Tame Eels eh?Tame Eels eh?Tame Eels eh?

Sure enough. They look just like their Moray cousins, but no teeth. I would stop back by for the 12:45 feeding frenzy. None of them were late.
The second tour of the day was Willowbank Wildlife Reserve. A sort of petting zoo with certain animals, some you could feed but others you could not, but with some different animals than I am used to seeing at a zoo. For instance, the eels were quite cool. They would hang out just below the surface and would often raise their heads above the water and you could touch their slimy soft bodies with a finger. If you held your finger above their heads they would raise up in interest. Not sure if they would do any damage if they got hold of your finger, but they were pretty fun to watch. Check out the video clips.

Additionally, this was were I saw a live Kiwi (the bird) for the first time in my life. They need quiet and dark conditions, so I didn't get any pictures of them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ostrich!Ostrich!
Ostrich!

Whatchu lookin' at bub!
Looking for handoutsLooking for handouts
Looking for handouts

It was quick to pick them up too.
What Up?What Up?
What Up?

Alpaca
GoatGoat
Goat

This guy was quite anxious for some "tucker" (food), but had to get the photo opportunity out of the way first.


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.1277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb