Day 9 - Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 24th 2007
Published: November 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

blacklight mini-golfblacklight mini-golfblacklight mini-golf

tee up Anne.. watch out for that strange completely black hill... oh wait, you can't!
Today we got a late start and wandered around Canturbury College and Christchurch City Center. Anne's brother, Matt, asked us to check out the college and the city to see if it would be somewhere he would be interested in teaching after he finishes his Ph.D at Georgia Tech. The college was a typical college built in the early 90s...lots of concrete and glass. there were some very nice gardens and courtyards for students to gather.

The college used to be in the city center in some wonderful old buildings from the 1870s. Those buildings are now an art center for the city.

The city has a lot of culture and activities (shopping, clubing, shopping, theater, shopping, etc) in the city center and there are a lot of other things to do in the surrounding area like hiking, wineries, and other tourist trap activities.

We also went to a science museum, Science Alive, that has some great permanent displays and room for traveling exhibits. They also had blacklight minature golf downstairs, which is were we headed first 😊 .

After spending some time at Science Alive we headed back to our B&B that we like so much
Some ArchitectureSome ArchitectureSome Architecture

typical christchurch historical architecture
we decided to stay another night and check out some of the surrounding countryside tomorrow. We plan to visit the Antarctic Expirence, the Orana Wildlife center and the local Gondola ride to get a panoramic view of the city and countryside. We'll see how much we get to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Artsy waterwallArtsy waterwall
Artsy waterwall

Even in their architecture, Christchurch takes Art to Heart.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb