TranzAlpine and Punakaiki


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Wilderland we decided to go to the south islands westcoast and do some woofing in Karamea. From Wilderland we took a bus to Auckland and continued by air down to Christchurch. In Christchurch we had planned to have a relaxing day in the gardens but ended up visiting every bookshop in search for some literature for my paper. I am writing about the relation between the Shekinah (Gods presence within and among people in the OT) and the Holy Spirit. So if anyone has an interest - email me. 😊 We ended up finding nothing but a tiered baby, sore backs and some new warm baby clothes.
The next day we where going to go with the TransAlpine railway across to Greymouth and we where both looking forward to it. It is said to be one of the most scenic train journeys in the world!
We got up early, as usual, and collected our things and got down on the street. Waiting for the bus... waiting for the bus... went inside just to make sure it was coming and the man assured us that the train would not leave before this man had arrived with us. And he came! 😊
At the train station there was not so many people and we got our seats directed without any delay. BIG windows and a couple in front of us that first looked a bit suspicious about having a baby in front of them. They did not really stop being suspicious but luckily for them and us some seats came clear and we could move and got more space. Something we noticed in the beginning was a sign saying that children where not allowed to play in the isle. Hm... so where???
Happily for everyone Julian fell asleep for the first 2 hours (on my knee) and by the time he woke up we had passed Arthur’s Pass and more then half the train had left. We got almost a whole wagon for ourselves. So lots of play...
The journey was very scenic. It was a bit early to see snow on the mountains but we enjoyed the autumn colours.
From Greymouth we took a bus north and made a stop in Punakaiki to see the Pancake Rocks on the way. We did not have much time but enough to walk around and see it. Its amazing what beauty nature can create.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb