The road to Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 24th 2007
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a good nights sleep although Archie Thompson gave me the odd nightmare as he single handedly smash Adelaide United in the Grand Final, 256km today with a brief stop along the way, at Timaru for breakfast at the Couplands Bakery then it was on to Christchurch.

We arrived at 12.30 and headed straight up to the Gondola which is 5 or 6 km from the city centre and was pretty boring, we went on a crappy ride called the Time Tunnel which shows the history of Chistchurch using dummies in period dress, I was mucking around a bit in there not realising there were camera's, when it was over and I was about to leave the girl operating the ride asked me "What did those dummies do to you?", it seems she was watching on CCTV and laughing at me. We then took the cable car back down to the car park and delivered our vehicle to the car hire depot. They then delivered us to a hostel called The Old Coutry House which is probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

It was about 3.30pm by the time we were settled in so we decided to walk the 15 minutes into the city centre found a nice little pub called thBard on Avon and watched the world go by while indulging in many ales. Later we found a Mexican restaurant had a big feed and waddled back to hostel.

Woke up pretty early the next day and followed the River Avon back into the city centre, Christchurch is very pretty city similiar to Adelaide in many ways, it was designed by Colonel Light who also designed Adelaide. We stopped at a pub called the Bog and had a full English Breakfast before visiting the Canterbury Museum and the Arts Centre were we ate some fudge, before walking back to Cathedral Square. The Cathedral was built in the gothic style and I must admit I favour Gothic having seen some impress cathedrals in other parts of the world.

A few hours of shopping followed before we headed back to hostel with our purchases stopping along the way to get a pizza and some beers, we are getting picked up at 4.30am for our flight home via Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

River AvonRiver Avon
River Avon

Sister city of Adelaide
Victoria SquareVictoria Square
Victoria Square

Sister city of Adelaide
Victoria SquareVictoria Square
Victoria Square

Sister city of Adelaide
Canterbury MuseumCanterbury Museum
Canterbury Museum

This girl wont reject me
Canterbury MuseumCanterbury Museum
Canterbury Museum

Lets see the Maori 's eat this one
Canterbury MuseumCanterbury Museum
Canterbury Museum

Scotts Snow Tractor - Antarctic Exhibition


Tot: 0.538s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 33; qc: 135; dbt: 0.3085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb