Warrawong


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The last few years I have been trying to do something a little different to celebrate my birthday, in 2005 it was rock climbing, last year an assault on the Fringe Festival this year I decided to put a line through another thing I have been meaning to do forever.

So Ruth and I packed a bag and headed up into the hills no more than an hour from home to visit a place called Warrawong, its a fully enclosed feral proof animal sanctuary in the Adelaide Hills and has an excellent supply of rare native animals.

We arrived in the late afternoon and checked into a nifty little eco cabin that sleeps about 20 and then went for a walk around the sanctuary, it was exciting when we saw our first Betong, hiding under wooden platform. We then hungout for an hour or so watching the lakes trying to spot one of the Platypus. I am almost certain that I snapped one, you will have to judge for yourself.

There were a couple of Cape Baron Geese chasing an English lady, which we both found amusing. Priceless.

Then it was back to the lodge for a fantastic meal in front of some large glass windows, we were able to sit there and eat a good meal, as the sun went down dozens of species of birds and animals came to feed just metres away. The highlight was a quoll which I have never seen before.

Around 8.30pm we met up with our guide and went on the dusk walk with a dozen or so other nature lovers, it was an incredible experience, there were animals everywhere including two species of possum and numerous species of small Kangaroo and Wallaby. We didnt see anymore platypus, but had an up and close encouter with a Koala the next morning. The Sanctuary has half a dozen specific habitats from a fern forest to grasslands, which attract different types of animals.

The evening walk went for about 2 hours and we thought it was brilliant, so much so that we decided to get up early have a hot breakfast which was really great and take the dawn walk as well.

I have always liked animals and have visit wildlife sanctuaries and zoos all over the world but the Warrawong Sanctuary is a real highlight. The experience was good value and well run and we both loved it.

So if you are an Adelaidean or a Tourist looking for a great experience go check it out you wont be disappointed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cape Baron GeeseCape Baron Geese
Cape Baron Geese

These chased the English girl
At the lakeAt the lake
At the lake

The Platypus is in the background turtles head in the foreground
Tropic ForrestTropic Forrest
Tropic Forrest

Home to the ring tail possum
KoalaKoala
Koala

I found this guy on the dawn walk


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb