Lyttleton (Christchurch), New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
November 21st 2023
Published: November 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tour Day 43, Cruise Day 43 – Christchurch by Double-Decker Bus (3.5 hours) - Cross the port hills to the village of Sumner and head into the city center of Christchurch. Here you'll board an open-air kiwi double-decker bus (weather permitting) for a fun and informative 45-minute tour of Christchurch. You'll discover why Christchurch is known as 'the Garden City' and is considered one of the most English cities outside of England. Learn about Christchurch's fascinating history from pioneering days through modern times. View some of the areas affected by the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes and learn how Christchurch is now preserving some of its iconic heritage buildings. Your guide will share aspects of the exciting vision and plan to rebuild and restore the inner city, and will interweave the experience with stories and up-to-date information as you circuit the city. Key central landmarks include the Earthquake Memorial Wall, Cathedral Square, the Margaret Mahy Playground, the Avon River and the Cardboard Cathedral. Visit the stunning Mona Vale Gardens in the Christchurch suburb of Fendalton. Set out on a guided walk through the gorgeous gardens. The homestead and gatehouse are both heritage buildings. En route back to Lyttelton, you'll stop briefly at Sign of the Takahe -- an early 20th-century hikers' waypoint lodge built in neo-Gothic style -- for breathtaking views over Christchurch, the Canterbury Plains and (on a clear day) the Southern Alps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb