copland valley


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Wanaka
January 29th 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

glacier waterglacier waterglacier water

we can't figure out why the copland river is so incredibly blue....any suggestions??
meesh and i recently took three days in the woods....away from civilization. we needed it. we hiked part way up the copland valley which is surrounded by the huge mountain ranges on either side. the 'welcome flat hut' near where we camped is known for its thermal pools....we thought a good place to go and relax for a couple days. we packed our bags and tramped for 17km's up the valley. the trail was rocky and slippery in parts, but followed a wild foggy blue river for most of the way with views of snow capped and craggy mountains. when meesh and i walk we don't talk much....it's sort of a silent amble along hesitating at most of the beautiful things we see. it's really nice.

we arrived at the end of our tramp early and set up camp under the 'bivouc rock' which turned out to be a point of interest and we had many visitors over the three days we were camped there. the sand flies were out in full force (black flies) and i actually resorted to bug spray. yuck. we built a wimpy fire in hopes of smoking them out....but the fire lasted for only a
our bivvyour bivvyour bivvy

this boulder was our home for a couple nights....see michelle cooking??
few minutes....so no luck there. we retired to our tents before the sun set and went to bed.

i woke the next morning and got a late start heading further up the valley. meesh stayed back to relax a little. i hiked for a few hours to the edge of the valley. i walked through fields of gold (sting stuck in my head the entire day) and over boulders in the river. once i reached the end of the valley the bush disappeared and everything seemed to open up. i had views all around of the southern alps and smaller mountains. i found a big rock and made a place to write and relax for a bit. in reality the southern alps are not huge mountains, but the pure and sheer amount they rise in a short distance makes them seem huge. landslides and avalanches are constant threats on these mountains and looking at them their faces are carved by great rock slides. snow piles in their peaks. they look fierce....beautifully fierce.

take care.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

cold ascold as
cold as

me dipping my toes in the river....the southern alps are in the background.
the copland riverthe copland river
the copland river

on my way up the valley....day 2.
my spotmy spot
my spot

at the end of the valley with the alps surrounding me....mt copland in the background.
thermal pools at sunrisethermal pools at sunrise
thermal pools at sunrise

the morning of our departure....
meeshmeesh
meesh

with the gorp (good old raisins and peanuts....and chocolate and pretzels) bag.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb