Can’t beat the weather but there is always a hot swim:)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury
September 28th 2016
Published: September 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Hamner Springs this morning (Sun 25/9) to light drizzle and the little village surrounded in cloud. I was looking forward to sitting in the hot pools looking out at the white capped mountains. I suppose 1 out of 2 you can’t complain. We managed a quick wander around the small touristy village in the rain before spending the afternoon at the pools. Hamner Springs Hot Pools is expensive but a must if you are there. We opted for a 2 day pass (initial entry & 1 return entry the following day) $38.00 pp. 1 Adult single entry is $22. The place was pretty packed and it was school holidays, we spent most of our time in the 3 sulphur pools (40°c - 42°c) which wasn’t as busy.

Monday (26/9) and the rain has stopped. You still can't see the mountains but we thought it was a good opportunity to walk up Conical Hill which begins at the north end of Conical Hill Road (main street). It was a steady climb (550m) on a very muddy track to the lookout. But we were not the only ones, I think everyone saw a break in the weather and decided to drag their kids up there for some exercise😊. Lovely views over town and cloud covered mountains. I can imagine this would be spectacular on a beautiful day. There are a few walking tracks around here but with all the rain we didn’t even attempt them (next time maybe). Another afternoon soak in the pools before heading back to the NZMCA camp. Not far from camp is the bridge over the Waiau River. This is the bridge they bungy jump off. It’s pretty awesome and there are some great photo opportunities here. It’s a bit freaky driving over the bridge in our big motorhome though.

Tuesday 27/9 and we are on the road again. Heading back to the east coast, the road is scenic following the Waiau river then through the beautiful Culverden farming area and Weka Gorge (see if you can spot Frog Rock in my photos….sorry not that well focused, you can blame the driver!). A stop at the Hurunui river for a bit of a look. I suspect by the 1st October when the trout and salmon season opens this would be a very busy place. Late afternoon and we reach Amberley Beach Motor Camp. All set up and we head off for a very invigorating walk on another stony beach. Manage to stumble across a wetlands walkway which was nice to mix things up a bit.

Wednesday 28/9………..housecleaning (yes we still have to do it!). A quick Supermarket run then off to Leithfield Beach (been there done that). Next stop Waikuku Beach, now this is my kinda place…..sand glorious sand😊, and it even has a Surf Lifesaving Club. Waikuku is also where the Ashley River Mouth is. Today there were a few Whitebaiters trying there luck. The sea fog that rolled in today made it difficult to see the actual river mouth. There is something quite nice about having both the beach and the river it just gives places a bit more interest. Next stop Woodend Beach. Yes you have to walk through the woods to get to the beach (2 min walk I'm sure you will make it). It adds to a bit of excitement not knowing what’s on the other side. Another beautiful sandy beach but with a downgraded Surf Lifesaving Club (A brightly coloured Lifeguard Tower). The sea fog is really getting thick now and it’s time to move on to our final resting spot for the night Kairaki. This is where the famous Waimakariri River heads out to sea. Parked up at a fantastic camping ground close to the river mouth. We have been for a big walk down the river and out to where all the Whitebaiters are hoping to catch a cup full😊. Then a bit of a wander through the woodland behind the camp before heading back to cook dinner. Looking at getting on our bikes tomorrow and biking up to Waikuku but will wait and see what the weather has in stall for us😊.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb