Rugby and beer with locals


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury Plains
November 20th 2005
Published: November 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Island Adventures

From Takaka (green) to Greymouth to resupply then on to Arthurs Pass and Castle Hill and by shuttle van with driver (Bill) to Christchurch (Note locations are approximate).

Castle Hill BackdropCastle Hill BackdropCastle Hill Backdrop

Blythe and Keif with Castle Hill limestone boulders.
Hello all,
So we just posted our last update but have a little time, so you get a double dose today! We left Takaka, went to Arthur's Pass and Castle Hill for bouldering for a couple days (high altitude, very chilly at night) and are now in Christchurch. More on Christchurch after we explore it - so far we have mostly seen the inside of this internet cafe - nothing fancy, but the owners must know an aspiring painter, plenty of Renoir knock-offs!
So, more on the little details of New Zealand.
To begin, there are many, many sheep here. Emphasis on the MANY.
Also, the Kiwis tourism industry has kept the fact that the roads here are incredibly windy to themselves. The hairpin turns have been awe inspiring (and stomach turning)!
We've mostly explored small towns and the folks have been incredibly friendly. Most recent example - Bill, the man who drives a shuttle van from Arthurs Pass to Christchurch, welcomed us (me, Keif, and Joel - his only passengers) into his house out of the rain and made us coffee before our ride this morning. He talked with us the whole windy, 2 hour trip, filling us in about
Pulling sick movesPulling sick movesPulling sick moves

Blythe cranking down on a slopy limestone boulder.
local history, asparagus farming, mountaineering, etc.
The other cultural experience we had recently was watching the All Blacks (NZ's rugby team) play England. We caught this event on Sunday morning at 9:15 AM in the only bar in the TINY town of Arthurs Pass. We were packed in with all the locals (loud single men, some appearing to be nursing hangovers, retired couples, families, etc). Over a huge breakfast (slightly meaty for my tastes - bacon and sausage) and a pint of dark beer, everyone cheered on the beloved All Blacks. The team does a "hukka," traditional intimidating Maori dance, before the game - very exciting! Kiwis do love their rugby - fortunately the All Blacks won so the town of 30 or so people did not riot in protest!
Also, had to defend our packs at campground against cheeky kea - alpine parrot only found in some ranges of the South Island in NZ. Apparently their intelligence rivals monkeys (whatever that indicates - I read it in a bathroom stall at the visitors center!)
Coffee has been interesting - can't order "drip," it's called filter here, but most cafe's only have latte's or "short white's" or "tall blacks," etc.
Infamous KeaInfamous KeaInfamous Kea

The infamous alpine parrot, the Kea. Cheeky Birds.
Not sure what all of them are yet, though Keif has figured out you can order a bowl...yes, a BOWL of coffee and he has been highly caffeinated ever since.

Speaking of Keif, I'll turn things over to him.

Good on ya'll.. This is Keif here and I've so far mastered the Kiwi accent, as long as I repeat whatever was said just after the person turns his/her back. Blythe of course is not pleased with this little quirk. Other than that and a minor mishap with our water filter, missing a backflow valve that cost 20 bucks to replace things have been great.
The South Island is beautiful. Spectacular beaches and waterfalls, and stunning mountains. It's no wonder this place was picked for Middle Earth in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Although defending ourselves from the orcs has been difficult and even painful at times. However they're not as agile in the water soaked limestone caves.
Next up... Rental car and driving on the left side of the road. Wish us luck...
Enjoy a few more pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A river runs through itA river runs through it
A river runs through it

Caving just outside of Castle Hill, a limestone cave about 400 meters long with a river running through the entire legnth.
Southern AlpsSouthern Alps
Southern Alps

Lupine, alpine streams and the Southern Alps. Can't get any more spectacular.


21st November 2005

Bitchin' post
again, nice.
21st November 2005

Cavin and Kritters
I am a few entries late to wish you "Good luck, and have a great time," but it seems like you really are having a blast! The travelblog is a fantastic idea. I am green with envy. Are there horses in New Zealand?
21st November 2005

Nice shirt
Man, you guys are lookin' spiffy in all your photos!
22nd November 2005

Jealous
Hi Keif and Blyth, I truly am jealous. This is a wonderful site. It is so neat to be able to see your pictures right away. It looks like a beautiful place and sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Keep in touch, it is so much fun to read your "blogs". Love and take care, Grandma Gerry
22nd November 2005

yep
Nice blog broshots. keep on keepin' on and in the mornin' I'll see ya for a cuppa! Don't be late!!
22nd November 2005

Yeah!!
Just lefty you guys a e-mail telling you to boulder or else! now im jealous cause I saw the pictures. Cool birds too!

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb