Capital Punishment


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Blenheim
February 18th 2010
Published: February 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately, a single night stopover at Wellington was all the tour planners allowed! And first we had a long journey from Napier in my little tank! We stopped at Mount Bruce in drizzly conditions to see some Kiwis and other rare birds that failed to show up. And then we had to cross over a mountain to get to W. So, by the time we had found our hotel etc, we had time only for a rushed visit to the Te Papa Museum (about to close in half an hour when we arrived) and a brief trip on the cable train up to the Botanic Gdn (and the weather closed in just as we got to the top of the climb.) Still, we found a lively Italian restaurant later and enjoyed the atmosphere of the city while walking around the waterfront (watching the locals in dragon boats, and 'boat race' boats - and jumping off the pier (for fun!!?))

This morning we had to rise at 5.45 to catch the early morning Ferry to South Island in the drizzle! After getting lost once, we got on board without further mishap (in spite of a lack of info from 'no
Statue Statue Statue

At Waterfront - I like it but what does it mean?
worries' locals) and enjoyed the crossing in the company of a sprightly 85 year old from Poole. (He's not going back to UK until 25th April!) Maybe that's how you stay young - skipping the winter completely!

The weather improved as we reached South Island and we were greeted by lots of leaping dolphins in Queen Charlotte Sound. (I'll get the pictures up on the Internet to show you soon.) Unlike in 1968 when the last ferry sank, we didn't have 14 metre high waves to deal with.

Later we acquired our South Island hire car (I'd just got used to an automatic, and now they've given me one with D, D-4,3 and L-2 to deal with. Help!)
We spent the evening in bright sunshine on the deserted beaches of Cloudy Bay and Whites Bay. So, after a good night, we should be ready for more fun and games to-morrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Local PhilosopherThe Local Philosopher
The Local Philosopher

End of North Island


18th February 2010

You're being American; quick stop touring!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb