Stargazing on the Banks Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Banks Peninsula
September 29th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 546 (25.09.08)

After a freezing night in the van, we packed quickly and hit the road out of Arthurs Pass headed for the Banks Peninsula. The drive from the park threw up yet more amazing views and meant we had to stop to take in some of dramatic mountain and lake viewpoints on the way.With the road getting much straighter and flatter, we knew that was it we had officially left behind us the Southern Alps with a little reminder of them in the snow capped mountains every time you looked in the mirror.

However, this was not the last of the hills we were to tackle as we were soon to learn. The Banks Peninsula was formed by two huge volcanic eruptions which has caused the land to rise steeply from the sea and leaving a number of gorgeous bays and inlets. As we arrived and with the weather in our favour we climbed the scenic road (Summit Pass) and got yet more breathtaking views.

Deciding lunchtime was not far off we dropped into Barry's Bay where we visited the local cheesery to pick up a treat (or two) taking it back up to yet another stunning viewpoint where we tucked into a hearty feast - mmmm!

Descending once more into Akaroa (the biggest settlement on the peninsula) we parked up and went for a potter around town taking in the rows of craft shops and galleries in pretty little French style buildings (from the first settlers here) that line the street.

We had heard of a really unique place to stay on the peninsula called The Onuku Farm Hostel. having been set up completely by chance the quirky place, amongst other things, has Stargazers. These are pretty much permanent solid wooden tents with the panel above the head of the bed made out of glass so that when lying in bed you can stargaze - very cool!

After our dinner cooked in the outdoor kitchen we cozied up in the Stargazer by adding to the two duvets already there with a third from the van and adding in two hot water bottles and lay watching the the night sky! The sky was stunningly clear and we just didn't want to go to sleep. Such an original idea and a great place to stay.

Day 547 (26.09.08)

As Onuku is still a working sheep farm, we woke not because of the sun coming in the window above us but by the sheep and their lambs deciding that the grass around the Stargazer would be perfect for brekkie - you cant begrudge the little furry fellas something to eat though.

With such an amazing deck at the hostel and great views over the bay we relaxed all morning in the sun with our books and brews.

Feeling utterly relaxed we went into Akaroa for a 'fush and chups' lunch before going to explore some of the other beaches and bays the peninsula had to offer. Ending up at Okains Bay for the night we parked up the van and took some of our friz-bee skills (or lack of) down to the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 35; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb