Wanna Bee Gees


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Banks Peninsula
October 21st 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Akaroa, the town where I live and work, is small. Its got a population of 650 people. Last night, about 10% of the population went out to Gaiety Hall, the town theater, for a show. I went too, as did my co-worker Isabel (from Germany) and friend/surrogate aunt Jean (from England), along with a couple of the guests at the hostel. The show? A BeeGees tribute, with disco suits, flashing lights, and smoke machine! And it was HILARIOUS. Isabel and I were the youngest members of the audience by at least 20 years, in many cases closer to 30-40 years younger. At first, it was hard to tell how the audience would respond to the energy of the music. But as soon as the band started playing Night Fever, the seats cleared and the locals broke out their best disco moves. Some danced on their chairs. And even up in the balcony, there were arms waving and hips swaying. At one point during the show, a human chain was formed, and anyone sitting down was pulled into it by the enthusiasm. We made our way up onto the stage, back down again, through the aisles of seats, up to the balcony, and eventually back to the main floor. But these Kiwis really know how to have fun.
The show itself was great. Apart from covering the BeeGees, the band also did covers of Neil Diamond, Roy Orbison, Freddy Mercury, and, who else, Andrea Bocelli. What better way to spend a Friday night in Akaroa?
Pictures will (hopefully) be coming soon...

Advertisement



22nd October 2005

You Rock Justo
Hell yeah Justo, good to hear you are having such a wonderful time. We miss you! Do the Kiwis do any version of Halloween down there? Colleen is going to be an ipod nano for halloween! Gotta love it. I still need to come up with something. Kisses, jen
26th October 2005

Justine, I'm so impressed with your blog! The Gaiety evening sounds like lots of fun. I think we forget how smaller communities are less uptight and seem to know how to socialize. Keep up the news!
28th October 2005

Holy Smokes!
Send the pics! Did you dress up? I was actually just looking up fashion in the 70's as I am thinking about halloween costumes. I have these awesome go go boots and it would be so fun to bring them out. Anyway...I am so glad you are enjoying yourself and I hope to see you sometime. Take care Justine and keep the emails coming. Riss

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb