Lyttelton Harbour


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Banks Peninsula
August 10th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Harbour CruiseHarbour CruiseHarbour Cruise

Josh takes a seat on the wet deck of the Black Cat Catamaran
A short but interesting day today. We started out at the Cathedral Square Starbucks to pick up a flat white, download some email and book some outings at the I-Site (Tourist Centre). There is an I-Site in most towns, even small towns like Reefton. There are a superb resource, with knowledge staff who can offer advice and even bookings for most of the major attractions (and even travel and accommodation). They are a key and well functioning part of the tourism strategy in New Zealand.
After a bit of shopping in the morning, we headed back out to the coast to take a 2 hour cruise around Lyttelton Harbour. It was a perfect day for it - fine weather about 20 degrees and sunny. Lyttleton is the key port on the South Island. A number of large ships were in port. We saw 3 or 4 Hector’s dolphins as well as the usual seabirds (primarily gulls and spotted shags). We were very lucky to spot a little blue penguin swimming quite close to the boat. He(?) was entirely unfazed by the boat, content to float along with the current. The swell was fairly significant once we left the protection of bay but no one became serious ill.
We had a late lunch at a small eatery in Lyttelton and took in the Simpson Movie. I again marveled at the wide and comfortable, assigned seating at the Hoyts theatre. The movie was amusing but did not get rave reviews from either the adults or the kids. The evening finished off back at the backpackers watching a bit of Rugby (the New Zealand Cup - Tasman v Hawke’s Bay).


Advertisement



17th August 2007

temperature
When you make the refernce to '20 degrees and sunny', are we talking the F scale or the C scale? Makes a diffence to those of us unfamiliar with kiwi weather. Always learning, ya know, (or is that doncha know?)?

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb