Into the mountains!


Advertisement
Published: November 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning we were up & ready to go soon after 9am. My foot is still sore so Julian is doing the bulk of the driving (sorry!) - except for the high mountain passes, I'm doing those! We were not far down the road from the rafting lodge when I noticed the fuel guage was low & the light on. Ah. So we drove back 17km to Geraldine & found a petrol station to top up at, whilst there we also stocked up from the local supermarket too.

We then set off along the Inland Scenic Route up through Mayfield, Pudding Hill & Springfield then further up towards Arthur's Pass. We stopped off several times to admire the view or take short walks. Noticable were the Rakaia River where we had lunch, a pretty grassland DOC site with a rocky outcrop that was begging for a hill fort on top and Cave Stream - where we failed to go through the cave as we found out when we got there that this starts by wading through a waist deep pool! No thanks! We also admired some of the beeches in the Craigieburn Forest.

We crossed through Arthur's Pass (at
Rakaia RiverRakaia RiverRakaia River

Perfect spot for a picnic!
924m) & headed down to our hostel in Otira (just 15km over the pass). Lovely little place with the two of us & a german guy as the only guests. No phone or TV (stack of dvds though), apparently there is wifi but as yet we haven't been able to find it! There's a nice short forest walk behind the hostel which Julian did whilst I cooked (my foot is still feelng bruised & sore & slightly swollen). There are glowworms up there too just 5min from the house but we are too tired to search for them tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

To the mountains...To the mountains...
To the mountains...

Taken by the road on the way to Arthur's Pass
MountainMountain
Mountain

From DOC grassland reserve
FoothillsFoothills
Foothills

At DOC grassland reserve
Random rocksRandom rocks
Random rocks

Near a toilet stop!
Mountain meadowMountain meadow
Mountain meadow

Julian chooses the route well away from the cliff edge!


Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb