Yipee Kayakay


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Woke up nice and early to check the weather for our days kayaking. We had stormy weather during the night, but luckily it had cleared to blue skies but still a bit breezy. So 8.30am booked our kayak and turned up for the safety briefing. (we had been told a couple of weeks ago 2 people had died!) so we were all ears! After a couple of hours learning what to do and what not to do we set off into the deep blue sea.

First stop was Adele Island for our lunch. It was our own little beach, but there were a couple of inhabitants, 2 vicious oyster catchers, (birds). They had a nest on the beach, which we couldn't see, and everytime we walked in that direction they went mad! One dive bombed Andy's head so he ran off leaving me screaming "don't leave me Andy!" It was like a scene out of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.
From here we packed up our kayak and paddled round the beautiful coves to Observation Bay. Here we sunbathed for a while. Set off back for a long hard slog! We didn't realise how far we had travelled. Everytime we came to a headland we thought that was it, but to our disappointment another one to go around.
On the last stretch with the end in sight, it was really choppy and windy and such hard work. I (Mel) even got a little worried. Eventually we made it back. Very tired but still very good.
After our showers we went cockle picking for second helpings for Andy. (170) Everyone in the campsite was intrigued when Andy was cooking them just like his mum and dad used to when he was a kid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd November 2005

Ahoy sea dogs
Hi you 2 that looks real fun,take care not to go too far in future or you'll end back at North Island.We're all very happy for you both, lots of love and stay safe. Dad and Anna
28th November 2005

Not At All Jealous
Like I said, not at all jealous, honest! Look at all the lovely sun and ur happy faces! And soooo cold and dark in England. Glad u r having such a lovely time, and hope u continue 2 do so. xx

Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 140; dbt: 0.2284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb