North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 6th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wellington CityWellington CityWellington City

A view of Wellington City from the top of the cable car.
Wednesday 4th March

Today we sailed from Picton in the South Island to Wellington in the North Island, a 3 hour crossing, very calm conditions. We had booked a city centre hotel for two nights with parking for Lara Lor van, a well earned rest for both parties! After checking in we walked 'downtown' and had a drink in a bar with all the important working people of Wellington, then on to Cuba Street where there are lots of restaurants.

Next day fully refreshed we set of early, had a look round Wellington Catherdal; a guided tour of the parliament buildings which was very interesting; visited the old government building which is actually fully constructed of wood, but look like stone, the building now serves as the law faculty of the Victoria University; took the cable car up the hillside to the botanic gardens; walked back to town through the fabulous gardens; spent the afternoon in Te Papa the national museum.

After all that we needed a drink and had just ordered a cold one and were sitting in the sun watching some boat racing, just like dragon boats, when someone spotted a boat offering trips round the bay. So off we went drink in hand and sailed round the bay on a catamaran - who says you can't see a city in a day!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb