The Malborugh Wine District


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 5th 2015
Published: March 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Marlborough VinesMarlborough VinesMarlborough Vines

Vines with their fleeces to protect the grapes from birds. The roses at the end of the row are to encourage bees.
We headed from Nelson to the Marlborough wine district which is centred around the town of Blenheim. The drive from Nelson took us firstly through the town of Havelock and then over the scenic Queen Charlotte sound, a windy road that climbs up for ages with small coves and havens the whole way. Havelock is a pretty little town famous for green lipped mussels and for being the birthplace of Ernest Rutherford, a scientist famous for his work on splitting the atom. Finally the road comes to Picton, where the ferries leave for the North Island, we carried on to Blenheim.

The town itself is pretty unremarkable but the countryside surrounding it is full of endless flat plains of vines, surrounded in the distance by mountains in silhouette. Marlborough is a well established wine producing region, one of the more familiar wines is from the Cloudy Bay Vineyard, which bizarrely is at the end of Jacksons Road. We arrived at lunchtime and so had some lunch in their beautifully sunny garden and a 'tasting experience'......heaven!

The next day we went to the real Cloudy Bay, which is on the coast a couple of miles from Blenheim, it is part of a bird reserve and we saw lots of cormorants through the in cloud and mist!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb