Week 4 begins and it’s nearing the time to end our trip of New Zealand.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 25th 2013
Published: June 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

spiral staircasespiral staircasespiral staircase

inside the 50 ton Kauri tree
Convergence of the seas at the northern tip of North Island and driving through a quick sand stream

Thursday, 25th April - Day Twenty-two: and today New Zealand celebrates Anzac day. Many people wear red poppies to commemorate the fallen soldiers.

We get on a bus at 07:45 for a tour to the northern tip of the North Island, at Cape Reinga. On the way we stop for a tea break at “The Ancient Kauri Kingdom” and see fine arts, crafts and the amazing spiral staircase cut into an enormous kauri tree and later have lunch near Doubtless Bay.

From the top of Cape Reinga, the Tasman Sea and Pacific Ocean meet and crash head on. It’s an impressive sight to see the meeting of these huge seas and there are wonderful views from Cape Reinga lighthouse. For the Maori spirits, here is their departure place from this world.

From the Cape, we head south on the western side of the peninsular and toward the beach. Our driver has to have special training for the beach in order to avoid getting stuck or being pulled under in the quick sand. So, as we drive carefully but briskly through the quick sand stream, which is the only access to the 90 Mile Beach, we can see huge sand dunes in the distance. Our surprise of the day is that we stop at the bottom of one of these dunes for us to have a go at sand-boarding! Who could resist even though it looks a bit scary coming down a high dune headfirst. The hardest part is trudging uphill to get to the top before the quick ride down. It’s fun though and several of the group ride the dunes two or three times.

There is one road that leads to the Cape that’s nearer to the Pacific Ocean but instead of returning the same way, our bus driver steers 56 miles southwards along the Tasman Sea on the interestingly named Ninety Mile Beach because it’s not actually 90 miles long. After a quick paddle in the sea and searching for clams in the wet sand, guided by Peter, the custodian of the beach, we’re lucky to see at the distant edge of the forest a few of the wild horses that roam there.

However, the drive home seems very long and we must pack the cases tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

a working solar lighthousea working solar lighthouse
a working solar lighthouse

at the tip of Cape Reinga
at the top of North Island - Cape Reingaat the top of North Island - Cape Reinga
at the top of North Island - Cape Reinga

the view looking toward the dunes
Peter, custodian of the beachPeter, custodian of the beach
Peter, custodian of the beach

with a bag of clams and one of his two dogs
 paddling in the Tasman sea paddling in the Tasman sea
paddling in the Tasman sea

otherwise known as wading in the sea
sea coast homessea coast homes
sea coast homes

on the way to Cape Reinga
reflecting the blue lake at Manginanginareflecting the blue lake at Manginangina
reflecting the blue lake at Manginangina

the Moari name means "now you see me now you don't". Crossing this bridge on the Northland bus tour


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb