Aotearoa...'the Land of the Long White Cloud'


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
October 31st 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

North Island route


Two years ago we travelled to Australia via Hong Kong and Vietnam. This time we decided to see some of New Zealand.

Several years ago we had spent time in the South Island with friends Ross and Brenda, so we stayed on the North Island this time. The most popular way to see the country is in a self contained camper van. We rented one for 10 days and away we went. Here are a few pics from our trip.

Remember to click on (or touch) the first photo to get the best look at them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Auckland cityAuckland city
Auckland city

The harbour does not have the dramatic beauty of Sydney but is home to thousands of sailors on the weekends...it is known as the 'city of sails.'
Shark attackShark attack
Shark attack

One of our Auckland excursions was to to the aquarium..this unique bus picked us up.
Looking forwardLooking forward
Looking forward

We rented a 2 berth camper van for a 10 day cruise around the north island. It was very much like cruising/sailing only on wheels...we changed our route and plans almost every day. The van was fully equipped and self contained with stove, fridge, toilet and shower.
Looking aftLooking aft
Looking aft

The seating area by day converted into bunks for sleeping at night. We had most meals aboard but enjoyed a few restaurant dinners.
Coromandel Coromandel
Coromandel

Our first night was a picturesque camp ground on the east coast
Cathedral CoveCathedral Cove
Cathedral Cove

Our favorite hike was to this picturesque cove on the east coast.
Hot Water BeachHot Water Beach
Hot Water Beach

Close by our camp ground was a thermally heated beach...at low tide you dig a hole and sit in the warm water.
My puddleMy puddle
My puddle

It was a chilly day but I was determined to be part of the experience...something like sitting in a shallow bath with lots of sand.
HangiHangi
Hangi

On to Rotorua, or as the cynical locals call it, RotoVegas. Touristy but still interesting. We went to a Maori Hangi ... The culture and history is explained in entertaining style and this meal of lamb, chicken, potatoes and veggies was better than it looks here!
The chiefThe chief
The chief

The Maori are a proud indigenous people who have worked hard to maintain their customs and beliefs.
Waking the geyserWaking the geyser
Waking the geyser

We were curious to see this geyser which is advertised as erupting at exactly 10.30 every morning...that's because the ranger drops a solution into it to get it going!
Thar she blows!Thar she blows!
Thar she blows!

Not quite Old Faithful, but right on time!
ThermalsThermals
Thermals

The walk through the thermal area was warm, varied and very smelly, an odor of rotten eggs.
Taking the cureTaking the cure
Taking the cure

A very interesting museum in Rotorua explains the many spa baths, hot mud dips and treatments that are offered for the rich and ailing clients.
Big KiwiBig Kiwi
Big Kiwi

We had to see live kiwi, but because they are nocturnal and shy, this was the only one that would stand still to be photographed...
Sheep and more sheepSheep and more sheep
Sheep and more sheep

It was lambing season so the sheep population had just doubled to 80 million. (There are fewer than 4 million people.)
WaitomoWaitomo
Waitomo

Home of the 'world famous' glow worm caves...they are really beautiful to see but tough to photograph as you need about a 1/2 hour time exposure!
CavingCaving
Caving

Most glow worms are found in caves above running water. We took a dinghy ride into this cave to see them.
Lake TaupoLake Taupo
Lake Taupo

We stopped at this scenic spot for a picnic lunch..the snow covered peaks in the background are active volcanoes.
Bush walkBush walk
Bush walk

We enjoyed a number of scenic bush walks in the lush countryside. Unlike in Australia where you have to be alert to avoid snakes, large lizards and deadly spiders, New Zealand has nothing scary to spoil your walk.
RaglanRaglan
Raglan

One of the real advantages of having the camper van was to find little gems like Raglan, off the beaten tourist track but well known to locals.
West coastWest coast
West coast

This is a volcanic stretch of coastline with black sand beaches and good surfing.
Last night aboardLast night aboard
Last night aboard

This was the view towards Auckland out of the back window of our camper.


31st October 2012

Aotearoa
Nice set of pics - beautiful and varied landscapes & mudscapes! :)
31st October 2012
The chief

WOW
Now this Maori is worth going to New Zealand to see! Great photos once again. I really must put my Indian ones on my Blog. Look forward to seeing you at Christmas. Love Lin and Rick
31st October 2012

Nice
Looks like you are having a great trip. Enjoy.
2nd November 2012

North Island
Thanks for the great travelog. Brought back fond memories. We spent a great amount of time exploring both islands a few years ago but forgot how unique it is. Lou & ward
3rd November 2012

Enjoyed your trip!!!
We are cold and damp here at the moment,still getting organized before our departure south.Souds as if the camper was the way to go ...are the campgrounds as wonderful as ever?Enjoy OZ and all of your family events!!!M&T
5th November 2012

Wow, enjoyed the pics and write-ups. Hope to see more in the spring.
6th November 2012

Ahoy!!
Am sitting in Florida reading your blog and think this may be a place for Brian and I to see..I especially like having my home under me while travelling (your camper!) Will we see you on the Florida waters this season?? Be well Vivienne & Brian

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb