North to South in 4 days


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
July 11th 2006
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

North Island


CarrotCarrotCarrot

Okahune - Carrot capital
Arriving in Auckland at 5:30 am after losing a day over the International Dateline (yes - Ladytron’s International Dateline was the theme song for the flight) means waiting until 8:00am to go pick up the campervan. This is my third time to NZ and a couple times in England means I have been exposed to driving on the left hand side of the road. Everything is reversed, except for the clutch, brake and gas - so it has taken some time to not turn on the windshield wipers when I want to signal. Straight into central Auckland on the NZ’s busiest roads is a test of learning to drive on the left hand side. Arrive at the Brown Kiwi safely and a few laps around the block to get a parking spot.

Shower, and time to walk to the Sky Tower for lunch for Glenn’s (host family father from when I was an exchange student). Probably the best buffet I have ever had, I consumed more oysters and NZ’s green mussels than should be allowed. Followed up by primo cheese and desert. Vacation.

A quick tour of the observation deck is the start of my road side attraction entertainment. This time it’s looking down on advertisements on roof tops, Mexican Food being my favorite one. Now in 1998 I had some of the worst Mexican food one could find - there aren’t any Mexicans crossing NZ’s border like we have in AZ so I stay clear of Mexican food. Glass floors looking 300+ meters down has the kids scared to stand on them, but I am not afraid…is that a bit of sweat..hmm

A big feed can only mean walking back home, along with a quick stop into Vodaphone to get a sim card to keep from txt message withdrawal here. Some other hostellers at the BrownKiwi decide that partying all night in the common area with terrible music was the thing to do. Now if they had some good dj skilz, I might of joined them. Possibly, I should of left my iPod with them.

Next morning I find myself piloting the trusty Brtiz Campervan down the highway to Rotorua. Excitement of meeting another CouchSurfer getting us access to thermal village where other tourist has to pay, fell short. So wandering and paying for thermal village access to smell sulfur and boiling mud was in store for the day.

Rugby Night - All blacks vs. Wallabies (Australia) can only mean one things. Pints and Rugby at the pub. Good times.

With trusty Britz back on the road, time to get to Tongairio National Park and a ‘tramp’ to Taranki falls proved to be just what was needed. This is in the shadows of mt Ngaruhoe an Mt Rhuapehu. Mt Ngaruhoe is on a volcanoes alert and is smoking, except it was in the clouds so we couldn’t see it. Mt Rhuapehu last erupted in 1996 and conveniently has the North Islands 2 largest ski fields on it. Monday meant skiing some of the worst conditions I have ever experienced with more people in one area - but still got to ski an active volcanoes on the north Island.

After skiing, it was south to Wellington. Only had an evening to explore, but this capital city is one I need to get back too. 6:00am came all too fast after sampling NZ’s finest wines and beer - but successfully piloted the trusty Britz onto the ferry headed to the south island.

Time for more snow and of course wine country.

Note the pictures of my roadside attraction fun. There seems to be something about converting DC3 aircraft into big advertising displays. Carrot town, can only mean a large Carrot. I wonder if I will find a large Trout like the Muskie in Hayward, WI area.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SKI! SKI!
SKI!

Active Volcanoe North Island
ViewView
View

What a View. Top of SkyTower
WellingtonWellington
Wellington

What a View. Top of SkyTower
Mexican FoodMexican Food
Mexican Food

Looking down from Sky Tower
Dog and BoneDog and Bone
Dog and Bone

Didnt make it in here.. This is Wellington. One cool town!
Dog and BoneDog and Bone
Dog and Bone

Didnt make it in here.. This is Wellington. One cool town!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb