New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ok so its been a while since our last update. This is due to lack of internet when crossing over from Perth to Sydney, and even arrival in Sydney we were not able to access internet for free. So the update of Australia will be coming when we are back to free source!!

Meanwhile just thought we'd update on New Zealand so far...

So arrived in Auckland and explored the city. Not too much to explore really, just did a few things like get a sim card etc. On the second day we went to an island called Rangitoto which is basically a volcano and we climbed to the summit, about 45 mins walk.

Hired a car for a few days and travelled Northland. Highlights were exploring an unmanned cave and discovering glow worms, the stunning scenery that is New Zealand, relaxed in hot springs which ranged in temperatures some so hot you couldnt dip your toe in for more than a sec. Camped first night beside a beach with a stunning sunset and the second night beside a river 😊

First trip on the Magic Bus took us to Coromandel Peninsula where we visited Hot Water Beach were if you hit the tide right you could dig a hole in the sand and have your own personal hot spring. However we did not make the tide and instead paddled in cold sea water!!
Beautiful Cathedral Cove walk offered lovely coastal views. Stayed in Coromandel Town for 2 nights, went on a railway built by a guy who bought the land. Interesting story, interesting guy.
Enjoyed fish and chips on the beach and just a day of relaxing 😊

We then travelled to Roturua, where we are now, which is basically a town built in the crater of a volcano. Just next to our hostel is a park where you can walk round and see thermal pools bubbling away and steam rising from them. Amazing to see but cant be beside them very long as it stinks of rotten eggs (the sulphur). Yesterday unfortunaltely we had so much rain that our tent flooded!! So had to move to a room. Gutted as room $60, tent site $20!!
Today we went to Roturua museum and watched a film clip on the volcanic eruption that happened in 1886 (i think). It was cool as the seats all moved as if it were an eruption. Bit painful on the butt cheeks though!! Then we did something I have wanted to do for a long long time......went to a baseball batting park!!! You know where the machine fires the balls out and you whack them into an open field...well try to!! Great fun!!

Now preparing for our next trip to Taupo.
So far absolutely LOVING New Zealand!!!!

Clare and Alex xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb