Auckland & the Northland (23 - 28 Oct 2010)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
November 1st 2010
Published: November 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

AucklandAucklandAuckland

The Skytower
Arrived in New Zealand, we grabbed a quick Mc Donald's for lunch at the airport and off we went to our hostel in Parnell which is in the suburbs of the city of Auckland.

Our first impression was really good. The hostel's rate was really cheap and the room was much nicer then most of what we have encountered in Australia. Cozy, large room with a decorative touch, bed was already made for us and we received as much free internet as we want!

We did most of Auckland on a 1 day walking tour. It was really a lot walking and I can tell you that our shoes were smelling like outdated camembert by the end of our day. Perhaps 2 days would have been better but hey… we are on a very tight schedule to visit all of NZ in 1 month.

Auckland is a mid-size city and looks quite similar to other regular American-Australian types of cities except that this one is surrounded by seas. The Tasman Sea on the left and the Pacific Ocean on the right. Not really surprising that Auckland hosted the America's Cup several times in the past. It is probably
AucklandAucklandAuckland

Countdown to Rugby World Cup 2011
more important for Aucklanders to own a boat here then a car. Some really impressive jewel boats are to be found in the Viaduct Harbour within the city center.

The Auckland Museum within The Domain park is also a little beauty to hang around, have a pic nice or a walk.

We rented a car such as we have done in Australia. Most of the people knowing NZ really recommended us to travel this way instead of the bus. It is true that it gives us definitely more independence and we don't need to bother of booking hostels in advance etc…

After having looked within all car rental companies trying to find the best possible deal, we were finally brought to our new car… a white Toyota Vitz 2004. I do understand why the deal has been good. The car isn't really impressive but it rides correctly by staying under the 100 km/h.

We hit the road on the same day as we were brought to our new companion and went North into the Northland… how original is that as a name! The nature is really fascinating. Every day is the discovery of something different. White sandy beaches, glowworm caves, massive kauri trees,…

One of our stops was the Bay of Islands. Again the name tells it all. The Bay is surrounded by a 150 deserted islands and is a real little paradise on earth. It is the place were the Treaty of Waitangi has been signed in between the Europeans and the Maori people to become one nation. Unfortunately such a place attracts quite a lot of tourists and of course some rip off shows. We experienced a really lousy expensive maori show with a guy playing a guitar and two women playing with a ball… which were constantly falling on the ground. Luckily for the customers I saved the show with one of my Haka performances!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Maori sculpture
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

The Auckland Museum
AucklandAuckland
Auckland

Auckland on the top of my fingers
Mangawhai HeadsMangawhai Heads
Mangawhai Heads

One of the most amazing beaches I have seen
Wangarei Wangarei
Wangarei

Wangarei Falls
Tutukaka CoastTutukaka Coast
Tutukaka Coast

Whales Bay
Bay of IslandsBay of Islands
Bay of Islands

Maori warship
Bay of IslandsBay of Islands
Bay of Islands

Saved the lousy performance with my terrifying haka
Bay of IslandsBay of Islands
Bay of Islands

Waitangi, place where the treaty has been signed in between the maori and europeans to become 1 nation.
OpononiOpononi
Opononi

View on the Hokianga Harbour
Waipoua ForestWaipoua Forest
Waipoua Forest

Largest Kauri Tree in NZ... more then 2000 years old.
Waipoua ForestWaipoua Forest
Waipoua Forest

Driving in between 2 giant Kauri Trees


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb