Northland adventure


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
December 8th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a long journey from Melbourne (via Adelaide obviously) to Auckland we picked up the spaceship on the 1st Dec. Our first priority was to see a little of Auckland and what better way then going up the sky tower directly next to our hotel. Starting off with a seafood buffet for breakfast!!! (well brunch to be honest)

However neither Lisa or I felt like the sky jump from the top we are saying due to jet lag and sticking to it. Spectacular 360 degree views as far as the eye can see, we could see Rangito Island, One Tree Hill and all the 48 volcanoes surrounding the city. On that evening we drove up to Gulf Harbour and really enjoyed the company of Darren & family as we dined out overlooking the bay.

The following day we keenly headed out on our adventure Northbound. The first walk was by the only motorway (state highway 1) and indeed and impressive pitstop where Lisa posed with the Oz Lemon Ale drink, I am sure she can become the face of Lemon Ale.... The first tramp was through cooling forest and no rain!!!

Later that day we hiked the dome
skytowerskytowerskytower

Lisa checking construction methods....yawn
forest walkway and I regretted being so happy about no rain. It was chucking it down from start to finish but this did not dampen our spirits for our NZ adventure. The lookout was a misty grey but it had cleared by the time we reached the summit.

Then we popped off the SH1 (lol - not in NZ it was 14km on gravel roads) to the Waipu cave, a beautiful glowworm cave where we had to wade through a stream to get a proper look. You have to imagine it, Lisa and I stood up to our knees in a stream in pitch black for 10 mins to let our eyes adjust, we werent spooked at all!!! honest... It was an amazing experience especially as there was noone but sheep around for miles. It was an beautiful cathedral like cave with a sea of glowworm stars.

We arrived for our first freedom camp at Whangarei falls. Our first meal in the spaceship and the gas bottle is empty, amazed it managed to fall through the Kiwis rigorous QC process!!! Awoke the following morning to admire the beauty of the falls and also enjoying the cooling spray of the waterfall.

Then did a short walk into the forest, at canopy level!!!! It was cooling and a varied terrain of spring meadows and forested enclaves.

Travelling in our quest North our adventure on the coast begins... Starting with a fantastic little campsite on the absurdly named bland bay, only $7 pn for an amazing beach pitch, bland it was not. Went for a swim in the sea and the saw stingrays in the shallow waters in the evening had to be seen, I wonder if Lisa would have swam had she known.....

At night we did our David Attenborough bit and went kiwi spotting, we could here their cries but alas we couldnt find any.

The following morning we hiked to the trig point along the peninsular (at the North Head) for amazing 360 degree views, unfortuanetly no 360 degree camera!

Moving on we chose to breeze through the very pretty towns (Paihia and Russell) of the Bay of Islands as they were also quite touristy. Drove the million dollar view road that hugged the cost and saw sites such as the Rainbow Warrior memorial at Maturi Bay, hiked St Pauls Rock to get a view of the surrounding valleys and oyster farms, and swam at many empty beaches as the weather was glorious.

Then stayed at hihi beach, next to ho ho island (no, just kidding) where we saw amazing sunset. Spent the morning in the arts and crafts town of Manganoui and sampled the award winning fish and chips.

Spent the night in the ancient treaty ground of Waitangi, this is where the pact was agreed between the British and the Mauri outlining the rules of engagement and almost now being the constitution of the country.

Travelled back to Paihia to get Lisa wet on the Bay of Islands boat tour. The name says it all Mack Attack, another serene romantic tour with us getting soaked from start to finish, have it.

Had a break from driving the following day, went on the Dune Rider experience which cruised along the whole length of 90 mile beach (all 63 miles of it...obviously) in a huge 4x4 truck. Went dune boarding on the huge sand dunes and hiked to Cape Reinga Lighthouse and to the northernmost tip of the island (well almost).. Saw the famous Pehutekawa tree that Maouri spirits are said to pass through on their way to the afterlife. I wonder if Dad went via this tree, but then he never did like flying.

A quick visit to the gumdiggers reserve taught us about kauri gum and its many uses. Also how they are still harvesting 45-50k year old kauri trees from peat bogs that have been preserved since they were all flattened by a Tsunami many years ago. We saw the result of their craftsmanship at the Ancient Kuari kingdom although we though $5k was a bit much for a table, although the spiral stairway made from a single kauri was most impressive. Kevin you would have loved it!

Travelled South from Bay of Islands on the West Coasr towards Auckland we saw the mother of all Kauri trees. Tane Mahuta (Lord of the forest) and Te Matua (Father of the forest), huge 2000 year old trees that dominate their hilltop surroundings.

Arrived back in Auckland on the 8th Dec to enjoy a fantastic evening with Matt, Belinda, George & Annabel thanks for your hospitality. The following day our Northland adventure was concluded with a visit to the Auckland museum where the Mauri artefacts were amazing and also the volcano simulation.

Onwards to the Coramandel and Bay of Plenty....



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

lookoutlookout
lookout

or not in this weather
glow worm cavesglow worm caves
glow worm caves

minus the glowworms hey ive only just got the camera!
bland bay DOC campbland bay DOC camp
bland bay DOC camp

anything but bland
bland baybland bay
bland bay

anything but bland!!!


14th December 2009

Plenty of cheese!
Hehe, great to see the trip is in full swing and there is no shortage of "cheese shots". Looks absolutely fantastic but I must say that the narrative was spoilt slightly by the addition of Daves "Then stayed at hihi beach, next to ho ho island". You never fail to make me cringe bruv ;o) Keep up the good exploring! Shame you're missing the first sunny winter ever in the UK! (don't worry that's my poor attempt at humour!!!) Peace and love. James
15th December 2009

Photos
Hi guys, Great photos :) Dave - what's this lying down business all about when sand-boarding? Come on, do the Brits proud - stand up and do it! Just have the Surfing USA music going through your head and you will be fine! Well done on not breaking the camera during it, last time I took photos of sandboarding I had to kiss my camera goodbye! We missed you at the Christmas markets in Bath - so much so that we had to drink your mulled wine as well ;) Keep having lots of fun. Best wishes from cold and wet Bath, Danny

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb