Milkyway in a cave


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
August 24th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've been in New Zealand over two weeks so it's about time we told you what we've been up to.

We arrived in Auckland on the 12th and stayed a few nights in a fantastic hostel. It was initially built for the Queen of Tonga and so it was very posh (for a backpacker's hostel). We then collected our motor home and we've since been driving around the North Island. We first made our way to the very northern tip, to Cape Rienga, where it was wild, rugged and very beautiful. It used to be a manned lighthouse and it must have been an incredibly tough life for the keeper. On our way back down Nick had New Zeland's best fish and chips at Manginui which is right on the coast and the fish are caught fresh each day.

We then went to the glow worm caves at Waiomio where there are 12,000 of these little creatures about the size of a match stick. In the dark they light up the cave roof like galaxy after galaxy of bright stars. One particular part of the cave is called the milkyway and that's exactly what it looked like - it was spectacular!

Moving on, Jen went Scuba diving at Poor Knights Island - one of the worlds top ten dive sites. We're both qualified divers already but Nick didn't fancy the boat ride over the very choppy seas. Anyway, Jen dived two sites including her first cave dive and got up close with a stingwray. She loved it! (We won't mention that she was sick in a bag)

We then went to Waitomo, also world famous for it's glow worms, and had a day exploring the caves. This involved abseiling down in to an underground river and wading through the icy water into a an underground chamber to view more glow worms. We then used big rubber rings to raft, in the dark, through the cave network before wading back to the start and rock climbing out of the ground. The whole thing invlolved creeping along narrow ledges and shimmying past eerie rock formations with just a head tourch to light the way and there were definately a few adrenaline moments!

After this we went to Rotorua which has underground thermal pools and water literally boils out of the ground. The smell of sulphur hangs in the air like rotten eggs and it's a big tourist destination. There are lots of mineral enriched thermal pools and we spent several hours soaking it up in an outdoor spa with 40 degree waters.

We're now in Taupo and hiked the Aratiatia walkway yesterday past the Huka Falls. The area's main attraction is the huge lake and the extreme sports, so we'll see what we get up to....

We've been spending some nights freedom camping and other nights at the relative luxury of campsites. We've gone to sleep at the side of a lake in a tremendous thunder storm and, on another occassion, woke up to a glorious sunrise at Wehiwehi beach. It's winter here and the weather is very changeable but, when it is fine, the scenery is very beautiful.

We're headed further south and expect to be on the South Island by the weekend were we'll update you then.


Keep the comments and messages coming,

N&J
x




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



24th August 2008

Fascinating
Thanks for keeping us all up to date guys, its great to hear about your experiences. I did ww rafting at Huka - I 'd recommend it if your still there. Gray
28th August 2008

Hiya both, loving the pics and updates.
28th August 2008

Hey chuck!
Hiya. This is the first time I've checked my email and your blog site. It's great!! It looks like you're having a fab time and looking at your photies and reading your blogs just made me smile! So pleased your enjoying it!! Take care and will keep checking for updates. Lots of love. Laura and Andrew. (ps Olivia is doing well and hopefully home on Monday!!)
30th August 2008

hello nick and jen, enjoyed reading your latest update, the pictures are lovely, nice hat jen... Look forward to the next update.. Take carexxxxx
1st September 2008

Milkyway in a cave
Hello to both of youxx hope you are well.We are enjoying the record of your travel journel, it is amazingly wonderfull and beauty-full.Speak to you soon. both take care love mum and dad john and mariexxxx.
1st September 2008

birthday
Happy Birthday Jen thinking of you
1st September 2008

birthday
Happy Birthday have a good day lots of love pam and bren xxx
1st September 2008

Hello, looks like your having a lovely time, Happy birthday for tomorrow. Love Carol x
1st September 2008

Happy birthday.
Hello Jen,Happy birthday xx.Enjoy all of your day.Love from both of us. we hope that you are well and allso that nicholas well. We are just fine ,and all the familey are ok,we are going to Turkey this comeing Thursday themwith Leon Michelle Rebecca and Vikki.the girls are not aware that we are going out with them to turkey.We are going to travel on the same minnie bus and that will be a surprise for them the agirls have tried hard in asking us to go with them. We are not staying at the same resort,John booked a five star hotel close to the beach John has spoken to Sharne and he has said it is done as i am to be treated oo dearI will finish for now HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENXX take care .we are enjoying all of the trave blog well done it must be wonderfull LOVE TO YOU AND NICHOLASXX
2nd September 2008

best wishes
Happy Birthday Jen (you know me,....never forget a birthday). I like the way that Nicholas jumps to talking about himself in the third person during your travel blog. He's a real character isn't he?
4th September 2008

milkyway in a cave
Hello nicholas,Hello jen,Hope you had a nice birthday jen.We are enjoying the record of your travel journals,the information is so interesting about the places that you have traveld two, and all thee adventures of your action packed activities.We have said that it must just be wonderful to do,allso it must have been very special to swim under water close to stingwray fish,and to visual see 2000 glow worms in their natural habitat natures natural beauty, the photographes say a vast amount allso.
7th September 2008

Hi from Egypt
Wonderful to hear of all your adventures - such fun and your blogs are really interesting. I'm sure you're having the time of your lives. Wishing you all the best for the rest of the trip and thinking of you. love Val x
9th September 2008

Hi Hope you are both ok. We went to the wedding and had a lovely time. The rain held off so we spent some time outside. They had a magician to entertain us whilst the photos were being taken. Joe has settled back i nto school and seems to like his new teacher. We are enjoying the travel blogs so keep them coming. Lots of love to you both xxx
14th September 2008

Hello Nick and Jen, hope you are both well, keep the blog going it is great reading about what is happening next. Matt said you are reminding him of Indiana Jones on his adventures! Ha Ha.. Keep the faith.. Take care love Ag and Matt..

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb