22. A Simple Transformation


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
March 20th 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It’s a really simple transformation, but can, and should be done gradually to achieve lasting results: (I’m sure most of you have heard all this before, but anyway..)

1. Try reducing the amount of useless polluting crap you consume, and start thinking about what you actually ‘need’. You may experience (like me) that you don’t actually ‘need’ to buy most of the things you impulsively want. I’ve been asking myself many questions every time I go to buy something, and 9 times out of 10 I’ve ended up walking away without it (I still get sucked in every now and again though! Mmmm.. gypsy trinkets ;c). I usually ask myself - do I really need this thing, if so, can I make it myself, if not then can I get a second hand one? Where has it been made, who is benefiting from my purchase, and how much energy has been used to produce/transport it? Will it last? Does it contain any nasty chemicals? Is the packaging necessary, and if so, can I re-use or recycle the packaging?

It’s these kind of everyday consumer decisions that can have a huge positive global impact. Yes there might be, what looks like initially, some negative consequences (the benefits of globalisation?). But what and how we consume today will benefit individuals, communities, and our environment in the long run. We need less short-term consumer gain.

2. Try growing your own organic food (or at least support & buy local organic). If you don’t have the space to grow, then look for other solutions, like allotments or community gardens. If you can’t find one, then start one! Sharing land, time, and the responsibility that comes with growing food can be a great way to bring people together and take the pressure off, leaving you with time to do other wonderful things ;c) I hear so many people say that they can’t afford organic, to which I always reply, ‘Yeah, but at what cost are you not buying it?‘ They do have a point, however, usually these people can actually afford to buy organic, but choose to spend their money on something else. Personally I can’t think of anything more important than health (start with ecology of the self), and there is no doubt that eating fresh local chemical free food is best for our physical, mental, and some might also say spiritual health. The evidence is out there, and I also speak from first hand experience.

By not growing or supporting local organic produce you are therefore supporting un-sustainable land intensive agricultural methods that, a) solely rely on a finite resource, oil. b) Are often owned by large corporations, and therefore only benefiting the few. c) Use huge amounts of chemical fertilisers, which are depleting our soils and are also linked to all these newfound allergies and in-tolerances. d) Are reducing the diversity of crops & wildlife due to large areas of land being turned to monocultures. A lot of which are being used to grow crops to feed the meat industry, and now increasing the bio-fuel industry.

Yes, it does seem that eating organic is a tad elitist. Health has become an elitist industry. Perhaps governments should be subsidising small local organic producers instead!? But, it’s a simple case of supply and demand. The more people that support and demand organic, the more will be produced, and the more likely prices will come down. Healthy fresh clean food, water, and air are basic rights for all life. Try it.

3. Try cutting down on your energy use. Again think about how much energy you actually ‘need’. It’s the same consumer reduction principle. We’re all so used to cheap energy that we don’t even think about what we actually need. Find solutions to reduce the amount you use, and start producing your own renewable. If you can’t afford your own, then set up a co-operative community renewable energy source.

4. Try reducing your waste production. Buy quality goods that last. Avoid packaging, the majority of our landfill rubbish is packaging. Keep and re-use paper and plastic bags when shopping. Start composting all your organic matter. If you’re urban based, try a wormery (organic matter should not be going into landfills, it is a valuable resource!). If you have the space, make a compost toilet. Re-use everything you can, and recycle what you can’t (recycling is energy intensive, and is often used as an excuse to keep consuming), be creative with your waste. Set up a co-operative community re-cycling and composting site.

5. Support your local economy (buy local produce from small shops, and fuck off the big supermarkets). Start a LETS (Local Exchange Trading Scheme) in your area. Create your own local currency. The current economic system is based on increasing debt. (See my list of films for more info on this).

6. Stop polluting the air we breathe and the water we drink (avoid nasty un-tested chemicals found in products for cleaning, washing, hair, beauty etc.) Find/create natural alternative solutions.. lemon, vinegar, ash, bicarbonate of soda, plants oils, herbs etc.

7. Don’t waste your time and energy on negativity and problems. Find positive solutions. People create social change, not governments.

~

Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb