Pouakai Zoo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
December 30th 2022
Published: December 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

I hate to admit how many times I have visited this zoo over many decades. It was always a Christmas holiday treat for my daughter. She loved it way back then and her children love it now.

I have a love/hate relationship with zoos as I spent several years volunteering at a large zoo so have an appreciation of some of the problems zoos of all sizes face and have expectations of how animals should be housed. Visiting Pouakai Zoo, after not seeing it for many years, was going to be 'interesting' for me.

Did I struggle with the size of some of the cages, having been used to the large modern enclosures at other zoos? Yes. But did the animals seem happy and in great condition and very well looked after? Yes. Absolutely. And the best part of this zoo is that it has a wonderful mix of exotic animals and pets. You get to walk past the very vocal donkeys, hanging onto your cup of animal food as you go past the ostriches as they will happily steal the lot, have a chat with a cockatoo, watch the capuchins beat the daylights out of their oranges so they can lick up the juice, admire the lions, feed the miniature horses, stare hopefully at the enclosure where the beautiful white Bengal tiger lives (ask the lovely owners where to look as she has a favourite spot) and then find yourself having a chat with rabbits/goats/chickens etc. My grandchildren love being able to feed the animals and it is always a competition to see who is brave enough to feed the demanding ostriches!

As a grandmother, if I lived in or near New Plymouth, this is the place I would take my grandchildren once a month. As we all live hours away from it, we will visit it once a year as part of a trip to NP to see the lights at Pukekura Park and other local Christmas activities.

Hint: if you want to take photos and are on your own, buy some animal food and give it to some random stranger who will enjoy feeding the animals while you take photos of the animals looking alert and interested. I also suggest you be there when the zoo opens as the animals will have just been fed and will be keen to let you know they haven't seen anyone for hours and hours and need lots of attention!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb