Edit Blog Post
Published: November 10th 2009
EXCLUSIVE!!!!! - Feral Mike in Ponsonby
This is the man our usually unreliable source says is Feral Mike, in front of a well known Ponsonby cafe. Our source says Feral Mike never left the city and his blogs are all a work of fiction.
A man looking remarkably like Feral Mike has been spotted lurking (see exclusive pictures) in cafes in Ponsonby, Auckland, leading to a claim that his solo bike ride of Northland never happened.
Did Feral Mike Ever Set Out?
An unreliable source says Feral Mike didn't leave the city, but has been lying low until the past few days and making up his blogs by stealing information and pictures from the internet. The source claims Feral Mike's confidence is growing because he believes he's got away with the scam. As a result, he's become brave enough recently to appear in public wearing a yellow cycle helmet to help hide his identity (pictures in the past have shown him wearing a black one).
Feral Mike Defends Himself
Feral Mike broke his silence late this afternoon to deny the charge, saying he had ridden all the way from Auckland to Cape Reinga and almost back to Auckland. He stopped just before the Pakiri Hill, north of Leigh and hitched a ride with a relative to avoid the traffic on SH1. He added he doesn't own a yellow helmet and he produced evidence which he says supports
This is the man Feral Mike claims is Ross, his brother-in-law and one of the few people who can confirm Feral Mike's claims of riding around Northland. We have been unable to contact thisman.
the fact he made the ride.
The so-called 'evidence' includes:
* A bicycle odometer which reads 1,220 kilometres, the distance he says he's travelled in the past three weeks in Northland.
* The odometer shows a top speed of 59.4 kilometres an hour, which Feral Mike said was achieved going down a steep hill between Mangawhai and Leigh. He said he was prepared to pay for an independent test to be carried out to prove it was possible the Beast of Burden could reach that speed on that particular hill.
* He went into detail about his route and produced a map which he said showed exactly where he went.
* He produced pictures of a man identified only as Ross, who Feral Mike said was his brother-in-law and would vouch that he had ridden the road between Mangawhai and Leigh. Travelblog is trying to confirm this detail but has been unable to contact the man.
* He also provided more pictures, one of a fish and chip shop in Ahipara which he claims he visited.
* Other photos appear to be taken at Rarawa Beach, where he says he stopped for a night on
The second of our EXCLUSIVE pictures show the man said to be Feral Mike looking aggresive as he spots our cameraman.
his return from Cape Reinga. He added it was the nicest beach of the trip.
Blog Readers should 'Draw Their Own Conclusions'
Feral Mike says he will leave it to the readers of his blogs to draw their own conclusions. He said the blogs would stop now for about ten days while he regained his strength before starting the next leg of his journey, from Auckland to Wellington via Taupo where he plans to take part in the Round Taupo Bike Race at the end of November.
Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:saturn w:www (188.8.131.52); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.4mb