Scuba Diving at Goat Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Marcos and I went on our first individual scuba dive at Goat Island today. And given that I'm writing this should be a good indication that I didn't drowned! Two dives accomplished today, both just under an hour each. Max depth reached was 9 metres (approx 30 feet).

Saw a wide variety of fish including a sting ray -- you go Steve Irwin. Seaweed forests that we had to hack our way through. Oh yes, lest we forget, we saw crayfish hidden away under ledges all defensive and ready to go if we had made a move on them. I was wondering for a while if nitrogen narcosis was influencing Marco's decision making; I though for sure he was ready to drop all his gear and wedge himself into a small cave to do battle with the cray! (Just kidding Jen -- Marcos was never in danger).

We had to wash our gear down at an outdoor shower station and stripped down to our kivvies while we washed the wetsuits and equipment. I noticed a small van of older Asian tourists in a tour bus slow down in the parking lot to take photos of the crazy north American’s in their undies.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Goat Island in the BackgroundGoat Island in the Background
Goat Island in the Background

Goat island behind us. The beach over our left hand shoulders where the people are standing was our entry point.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb