Sweet as!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
October 27th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Red RocksRed RocksRed Rocks

Seal Monitoring at Red Rocks
Red Rocks
Last week we all ventured to Red Rock to do some seal monitoring i.e. counting them and seeing if they are male/female. Seals were v cute! Although you could smell them before you saw them! Was in quite a remote spot so not many tourists around. Had a trip to the 'Chocolate Fish Cafe' and went via Peter Jackson's house (director of Lord of the Rings). Well, just round the outside!) Rumour has it that it is his house, although I saw no Oscar on the window sill!

Sailing Part Deux
Went sailing again round Wellington. (Have tried to attach a video clip). Was a lot more successful than last time i.e. the steering didn't break! However, quite heart stopping when the boat tilted more than 45 degrees! Apparently that's normal?! Got pretty wet! Sailing back in to shore took about 4 hours (!) against the wind and the sail wasn't working properly so resorted to putting the motor on. So not 100%!s(MISSING)uccessful!

Otari-Wiltons Bush
At Otari-Wilton's Bush we were tree monitoring one of the areas which GVN are regenerating- involved hugging trees and clinging onto them to stay upright on a massive slope whilst id-ing and
Seal!Seal!Seal!

So cute!
measuring the height of them! Leader of Otari program was v passionate about wildlife etc. He said that if we were to fall when coming down the slope to NOT fall on the native plants and to just fall on him. You should have seen the concentration on our faces! Only slipped once! In the afternoon we were planting flaxes and weeding (and, ashamed to admit it, I found out at one point that I was weeding a weed - quite taxing work!😉)

East Harbour
We did a ~2hr hike up a massive hill and down into the valley in East Harbour Regional Park to do some possum trapping and putting down rat poison. Not a pretty sight if you came across a captured possum - looks like it has committed suicide by hanging itself from a tree (I didn't take pictures!) We had to cross the river about 50 times so had soaking feet.....ni-ce! It was a cool setting where we were though in the forest!

Karori
Went to Karori Wildlife Sanctuary to do some.....you guessed it....more weeding! Or to glamourise it a bit more, otherwise referred to as - 'Plant releasing'! Getting quite the pro now!
Ouch!Ouch!Ouch!

Spiky backed stick insect found at Otari-Wilton's Bush
We managed to have a look round the sanctuary and caught a glimpse of the Tuatara. It is actually quite a cute thing up close (might not look it in the pic!)

Wellington and The Hutt
Did the touristy thing and went round Te Papa Museum and Houses of Parliament buildings. Had a wonder round the shops too and invested in another fleece. Weather has been v changeable to say the least! Actually snowed the other afternoon! Have been introduced into the Wellington night life. Big on the Irish bars/pubs over here (or that seems to be the places we go to!) Have discovered the Tui beer and Macs Gold!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TuataraTuatara
Tuatara

Actually quite cute up close - surprisingly!
WellingtonWellington
Wellington

Bee Hive and Parliament Building


26th October 2006

Wow!
Glad to see you're having such a fab time Hannah! Nice break from the working day to read about your trip. Keep having lots of fun. xxx PS its Chris's Jen in case you are confused!

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb