Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
February 14th 2015
Published: February 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Where were we?

On Wednesday morning we packed our bags and then went for a walk around parts of Christchurch we had not seen, ending up in the Botanical Gardens for lunch. Back to the hotel to collect our bags and on to the airport by taxi.

The flight to Wellington only took 40 minutes and gave us a great view of the harbour as we came into land. We collected our hire car but they were unable to hire us a satnav. Yes I went the wrong way trying to reach the hotel and got really mixed up with city rush hour traffic.

The hotel, once we found it was a disappointment after the previous ones. It was claimed to be 4 star, but I doubt that it would warrant two if judged on our room. Never mind we don't have to live there. That evening we went for a walk around the city centre, a vibrant place full of students and cafes and bars, such a contrast to the other parts of NZ we had visited.

By the wonders of the interweb off which we were only allowed 30 mins per day we located a store selling satnavs with NZ & OZ maps for less than it would have cost to hire one from Avis.



On Thursday we travelled north of the city to visit Lyn's friends Peter and Pam that were officials at the Locks Heath Horticultural Society before emigrating to New Zealand. We were made very welcome and enjoyed our day with them. Peter and Lyn were able to help each other with plant identification and husbandry.



On friday we left the car at the hotel and walked to the National museum, then took a tour of the NZ parliament. We then took the cable car to the top of the Botanical gardens and walked back down to the city. Unfortunately it started to rain and the gardens were a shadow of those in other places.



On Saturday we were off on our travels, next stop Napier on Hawkes Bay. The countryside was not as appealing as the South Island, and as we were now travelling in a comfortable saloon car, my passenger soon fell asleep, well she has had some early mornings.

The accommodation booked for us is superb. A one bedroom flat and the kitchen has fridge, freezer, microwave, hob, oven, washing machine, tumble drier and even a dishwasher. We have done some laundry but I don't think the rest of the appliances will get used. No home cooked Sunday roast for me.

We have had a walk around the area, rebuilt after the 1931 earthquake in the Art Deco style. We had dinner in a restaurant in one of these buildings. Teriffic meal and teriffic surroundings well suited to Valentines night.

Tomorrow we intend to explore the surrounding coastline. Hope the weather is good

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb