The North-South Divide


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 15th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I am currently wring this from the Premier Lounge of the 'Kaitaki' enroute from Picton (South Island) to Wellington (North Island) in the Cook Strait. We decided to upgrade our journey to include lunch, afternoon tea, free Internet and a private lounge away from the hassle of the rest of the ship. This very much after Joe Loader's mindset in Singapore. Well worth it!

We left Christchurch at 7am (!) on the 'Coastal Pacific' for the 5 hour train journey to the ferry at Picton through a variety of country including the vine growing area of Malborough. The journey was excellent with a running commentary over headphones of the geological, cultural and political highlights of the landscape we passed through. The train has more windows than conventional carriages in England and there is also an open observation car (bit blowy though) where you can watch and take photos unhindered. On arriving at the ferry (one that originally worked from Portsmouth to Cherborg and on which we have travelled before) we boarded and had a meal. Currently we are at a point were the Tasman sea (to our left) meets the Pacific (to our right). Geologically this is also the point were we cross onto another 'plate' again.

And now we are in Wellington. As a slight change to our itinery, we picked up our car tonight instead of tomorrow which will give us more time for the long journey to Napier tomorrow. The car is a Nissam 'Jukes' which we have chistened "Louise"! We got to our very posh hotel which is close to the Ferry TermInal and near the seafront. The 'Rydges' has valet parking so for the first time in my life I just handed over the keys and left them too it! Hope we get 'Louise' back tomorrow! Went for a walk along the quay later on and had wine and chips in a bar after enjoying the sculptures and poetry on display along Writers' Walk'. We really like Wellington. Busy, cosmopolitan but friendly and alive. It is pity that one day all this city will again be subjected to the same inevitable forces that brought the havoc to Christchurch!

Let us hope it is not tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb