Wellington!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 12th 2009
Published: January 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heylo!!

The next day we headed off to Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, and our final stop in the South Island. It was a long journey getting there, we made a few stops but nothing very interesting to be honest…a big model of a carrot in a region famous for carrots and a big model of a welly (boot) in a town famous for their welly-throwing contest (very random!!)!

Although we did stop off at the site of the biggest train disaster in New Zealand, where hundreds of families were killed on Christmas Eve, in 1953, after an earthquake (there are a lot in New Zealand) broke the bridge and rails the train was to pass over! We read all the information there, looked at the railings of where the old track and bridge used to be and then all held hands in a circle and had a one minutes silence, which i thought was really nice!!

When we arrived in Wellington, we stopped off at the look-out point above Wellington, took some pictures and then went to check in the hostel! It was a few peoples last night and our last night in the North Island so we decided to go out for dinner! Everyone was really tired and wanted a sleep before going out but I did some serious recruiting and got a group together to go to the museum which our guide had told us was amazing! I didn’t really want to go either but felt like I should as we were leaving Wellington on the ferry first thing the next morning! The museum was actually really amazing and im glad we went! That night was really fun, I think it was the first time I had been out in over a month, we went to an Indian restaurant and then went to the club/bar in our hostel, as that seemed to be the only place anything was happening on a Monday night! It was actually really fun, mainly because we loved the music…really cheesy songs we hadn’t heard for ages so we were happy and danced until about 3am, before having to get up at 6am to get the ferry to the South Island!

xxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb